Smelly gear!!!

15 messages
05/09/2006 at 15:22
Folks, I've been into this running lark for a few months now. Love the feeling, love the fresh air and all that, but I have a bit of a problem.
The clothes that I wear are getting rather smelly even after one run. The smell is still there after a good old tumble through the washing machine and out onto the line.
The question is, should I buy new or is there a powder etc that banishes the smell from my gear?
BTW it's tops and not bottoms, if it was the latter then new would be on the cards!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Gary
05/09/2006 at 16:18
I have this problem with cotton shirts - I have to spray the underarm area before I wash them.

Technical gear apparently doesn't hold the smell as much; natural fibres tend to reek more.
05/09/2006 at 16:20
My stuff smells disgusting after being washed as well - not much can be done about it I suspect. My wife keeps trying to get me to get a new load of kit but I don't see much point if it's just going to pong again in a few months.

At the end of the day we're not wearing it for a nice meal out so stink away!
05/09/2006 at 16:25
what temp are you washing at Gary? I find a 60 degree wash is the only way to be sure of getting rid of those nasty whiffs - doesn't seem to mess up the fabric too much (though reflective piping goes a bit iffy after a while).
05/09/2006 at 16:26
I have a lot of the technical tops and have never had an odour problem.

..standard coloured wash with Bold/Persil and a dash of Comfort fabric conditioner in the rinse cycle.

...it has been suggested that fabric conditioners compromise the 'breathability' of the fabrics, but I'm not convinced. I recently read a magazine about hiking which contained tests on fabrics which had been treated with conditioner... it actually increases water repellency (and hence I guess wicking and breathability).

..suggest that if you really have a problem, steep the running gear for a few hours in a bucket of warm water which has a capful of 'Dettol' disinfectant fluid added.
KKD
05/09/2006 at 17:10
If kit stinks soak it in a basin of hot water with 3 or 4 drops of essential oil before washing. The best anti bacterial ones are lavender (although this can smell a bit old womany!) and lemon is a great one.

Problem solved!

NEXT! ;-)
KKD
05/09/2006 at 17:32
Gary - my gear is banished to the garage untilI have enough for a full wash.

Its pongs so much missus won't let me put any other clothes in w.machine with it.

KKD god tip but I'll stick with the pong
05/09/2006 at 17:32
'good' even...
05/09/2006 at 18:35
I only run in technical gear, and no matter what make it is, it always smells like an old tomcat's peed over it even before I start my run.

Afterwards it's even worse. My laundry basket has its own personal heat haze.

I can't say I care, tbh. Maybe it's just a stinky male thing.

And maybe it's why I'm not married :-)
05/09/2006 at 18:51
maybe leaving it in the garage to fester is the problem MVB - give it a rinse thru and then put it on the line to "air" before you wash it

you could try Febreze as well - spray it on for odour control or use Lenor conditioner with Febreze added

anyone remember how the original Helly thermals used to stink ?!

05/09/2006 at 19:15
Hmm.. do you wear anti persperant.. if you do.. switch to just deodrant when excersising.. sumthing about the aliminium in the anit pers trapping odor.. or add some baking soda to your wash.. other options would be vinegar or borax.. I found bakin soda bout the best though..

If you want to leave stuff in a garage.. or similar leave em soaking in oxyclean or similar before you bung em in the wash..
05/09/2006 at 22:01
I sweat like a big old kipper but my kit is always fresh after a wash. Perhaps you have tough sweat lol.
05/09/2006 at 22:01
Why would one wear antiperspirant or deodorant while exercising?

It's good ole sweat, from honest endeavour. Let it flow, and then take a shower :-)
05/09/2006 at 22:09
Don't use fabric conditioner on technical kit. It can damage the wicking properties.

Try a higher temp (it should take it, even if it says 40 degrees on the label).
Duck Girl    pirate
06/09/2006 at 00:11
leave on line for a few days to be washed in rain & well aired.
don't leave mucky - take it off in the shower & stamp on to rinse, then hang out, if you haven't enough for a full load.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.