Snow/ Ice best shoes Trail or spikes?

8 messages
20/01/2013 at 21:06

I have deiced to get a pair of shoes for the few days of snow we get every year but what? My everyday (only running shoes) are a pair of Nike Free 3, so I'm thinking some cross country spikes might be a good idea as they will still be quite minimulist, but I see Nike do some Flex trail shoes which I guess will be flexable like the frees so offer me the foot movement freedom I'm used to?

The Flex trails, might get a bit more use then the XC spikes, as they could be used more when the snow/ ice starts to melt but the spikes would probably offer better grip? 

The areas I run snow gets compressed quickly 

21/01/2013 at 21:49
I've moved to minimals- New Balance MT10SV (trails) and have been fantastic.
25/01/2013 at 07:09

Orienteering shoes are superb in snow/icy conditions, those little dob spikes give great grip on icy surfaces..

25/01/2013 at 13:19
25/01/2013 at 15:00

Fell shoes have been pretty minimalist years before Nike et al jumped onteh band wagon and I think there's quite a few that will be far lighter and far less supported than your Nike Free's.

Funnily enough, I have an 8 mile old pair of Inov8 bear grips that are just a little to tight for me.  Size 10.5 if you are interested.  Absolutly superb in snow, ice or gloop.

25/01/2013 at 15:28

Inov-8 Baregrip 200 are really grippy and very minimal.

I don't use my cross country spikes anymore as they are too firm and don't let my foot flex and move.

26/01/2013 at 09:58

I ran home from work lsat night (leaving circa 22:15) in my Mizuno Wave-Harriers (which were my first purchase as fell-shoes)

They worked superbly in the freshly fallen (& indeed, falling) snow, with perhaps 4" on the ground.

I usually prefer my various Inov-8's (Roc-Lite, Mud-Claw & OROC), but they're a bit 'slow'/'clumpy' on dry tarmac - sa it wsa for the run to work, barring the patches of forzen snow

03/02/2013 at 23:27

There's a bit of a debate about them on the FRA forums at the minutes, & there's a lot of postings about Scandinavian Orienteering shoes

The ones I looked at (as a result of the thread) are dear, & would be no good at all on tarmac. but they do look the biz!!!

http://www.scandinavianoutdoorstore.com/en/jalkineet-ja-sukat/urheilujalkineet/spirit-2-olx/

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.