Speed Distance Monitor

Worth bothering with?

4 messages
25/08/2002 at 16:49
In order to accurately assess my training I'm tempted to buy a speed, distance monitor. Before I shell out all the money I'd appreciate others' opinions and experiences. Do they work over mixed terrain (built-up areas, woodland, hills)? Are they accurate? Is the speed updated often enough? Have you used it to good effect? Should I bother? Any info would be great.
Guy
25/08/2002 at 19:20
If you go to http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=5&UTN=421&SP=&V=6 you should find a recent thread on this, where I (and various others) posted our views.

The short answer is that they are quite expensive, not 100 per cent perfect, but on balance well worth having.
26/08/2002 at 10:30
If you want accurate information I reccomend a Garmin GPS12 but as mine doesnt always collect consistent info due to loss of tracking (cloudy days - satelites being moody - George W Bush feeling intolerant etc) you may consider getting 4 or 5 of these gadgets and at least the weight will slow you down enough for me to catch you up.

Cheers
26/08/2002 at 17:25
Just got mine today, and am wondering if there are any tips people have worked out through trial and error that might make my use a little easier? (Tips)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.