SPF face moisturisers & running.

6 messages
16/04/2007 at 08:56
I've just recently started using moisturiser for my face with an spf 15. Is a face cream with spf enough protection for running in the sun or do I need to use an additional sun protection lotion over that? Sorry, silly question but really not sure if these moisturisers are enough. Ta...
16/04/2007 at 09:18
Will depend completely on how sensitive to the sun your skin is chum. Mine is v sensitive, so I use high spf.

Unfortunately also you can't layer one product over another and expect it to work properly.

I use a face mois. spf 15 too, but carefully only put factor 20-25 on my cheekbones / back of neck on v sunny days. If you use P20 or Ultrasun sunblocks (*brilliant* stuff) note if you even have moisturiser on your hands when you apply them they will not work...it stops them bonding to the skin.

P20 seems a bit harsh for the face, but Ultrasun seems ok. Hope this helps a bit :O)
16/04/2007 at 09:25
Hi Nick, thanks for that. I'm olive skinned and not sensitive to sun at all, so do you think an spf 15 would be ok on it's own, maybe a higher spf for the really sunny days?
16/04/2007 at 09:36
With the little I know, and bearing in mind we are all different...

I personally think a good 15spf sunblock much better than a 15spf moisturiser for anything other than general use - I don't think it bonds as well or stays on as long.

Personally I use 15 moisturiser every day just as a general thing - with sunblock for activity or walking about outdoors.

Lay in some proper gentle face sunblock 20/25 for those sunny hot days outside and then you will never have to worry :O) Just don't put it over moisturiser and remember to do all the other bits (back of neck!!) too.
16/04/2007 at 09:42
cheers, that's been very helpful!
17/04/2007 at 10:45
Try a few out first if you can. Some suncreams really sting your eyes once you get sweaty.

I've used Pro-Sport happily for marathons, sailing and the like. The advantage is that it lasts all day, whereas most recommend re-applying regularly - which is tricky half-way through a run with a sweaty face! http://www.2xs.co.uk/Pro_Sport_44_SPF_6oz.asp?CID=53

There are also some gels, e.g. Aloe Gator, that do a similar all-day, suitable for sweat/watersports, job.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.