Sports drinks (again)

4 messages
05/08/2002 at 08:28

I posted a thread recently asking for advice on sports drinks. I have since tried the SIS ones and got on very well with them. The trouble is I'm getting married soon so any spare money is going towards wedding/house deposit and sports drinks are a bit of a luxury. I've seen quite a few pieces on DIY sports drinks with squash or fruit juice, sugar or glucose and a bit of salt.
Does anyone make their own or have any favorite recipes? Or has anyone tired them and found them rubbish. I'm a molecular biologist and so have access accurate balances/scales to measure out ingredients (not strictly in line with health and safety but never mind).
Thanks in advance,
Rob
05/08/2002 at 14:18
Anita Bean's book "Sports Nutrition" has some recipes for sports drinks. I think they work as well as the shop bought versions (I think SiS are best) and they work out a lot cheaper. You'll have to give them a try and see. Theoretically someone in your field should be able to get the mix right (by the way I'm a health and safety officer, but I wont tell)!
Cheers
Neil
23/11/2002 at 00:08
I read reasently that honey works as well in tests as a sports gell. Try www.pponline.com I think??

I use 50g of Tesco hi juice Black current, pinch of salt and top up the 500ml bottle with water. It works out at 7% carbs if my maths is right. I experimented with less juice and glucose powder to make up the 7% but it tasted weak.
25/11/2002 at 13:30
I used to use orange juice - half litre juice, half litre water and a good pinch of salt. Only thing i found was i tended to need to stop due to 'stomach disorders' about half way round. perhaps more water and less juice was needed? I used the mixture in various quantities of dilution for a couple of years before our finances enabled us to start buying PSP22.
With 2 of us regularly using the big containers of PSP powder, it lasts about 10-12 weeks at a cost of £22.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.