sunglasses

1 to 20 of 72 messages
17/03/2003 at 16:44
Can anyone recommend any sunglasses that are good for running/sports?

I did a half yesterday and the sun (as lovely as it was) gave me a migraine, so would need a pair that would stay on as i am running along, as well as protect my eyes.

Any suggestions???
17/03/2003 at 16:47
I personally hate wearing sunglasses while running, but my wife (heptathlete) swears by Oakleys. She's had a couple of different designs now, I'll ask her tonight which they are (they all look the same to me!).
17/03/2003 at 16:59
I would rather not run in sunglasses either but I suffer quite a lot of migraines that quite often are triggered by bright lights, so your wife's advice would be great.
17/03/2003 at 17:10
I find that sunglasses just irritate me, so I just wear a baseball cap instead - although could have done with sunglasses Saturday morning when the sun was so low and so bright - but then it would have been a crime to block out that gorgeous morning! lol
17/03/2003 at 17:35
I swear by running in sunglasses (when it is sunny...) as otherwise I tend to screw up my eyes which in turn hunches your shoulders and prevents me from relaxing properly whilst running. And I get headaches too.
I at the moment wear Blocs but they are not ideal as they steam up after around 45 minsutes of running.
If I had the money I would wear a pair of Oakley's. Sports Shops such as Sweatshop stock them and dedicated running Adidas and Nike sunglasses too.
It is best to try before you buy as different styles of frames suit different shapes of faces.
17/03/2003 at 17:38
As I wear prescription lenses I always run in sunglasses ( unless its dark ) Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes "sports" type prescription sunglasses ?
17/03/2003 at 17:56
Oakley do!
iron fraggle    pirate
17/03/2003 at 18:05
I've got some fab addidas sunglasses - they have interchangeable lenses so you can gear them to the brightness of the day - see my photo to the right to see me wearing them.
I have a small head so I find most Oakleys tooo big and very uncomfortable.
17/03/2003 at 19:50
I`ve found sunwise are a decent make, and a fraction of the price of oakleys, not bad for first a time trial, especially if you find you dont like running with sunglasses on, mine cost about £16.
Moe
17/03/2003 at 20:22
ditto with the Sunwise - cheap, light, comfortable & functional.
17/03/2003 at 21:36
Got a great pair of Bolle from sightdirect.co.uk - interchangeable lenses (which is fun, but not absolutely necessary) but also with prescription inserts (they have these on two of their "Active Sport" Range). Fabulous for those slightly short of sight (like me)whose eyes do not like contact lenses. Check out www.bolle.com if you fancy a browse.
17/03/2003 at 21:57
I almost always run in sunglasses, quite often when the sun isn't shining because I find that it cuts out glare (especially on long straight stretches) and helps me to relax. Up until last year I used to wear cheap but comfortable sunglasses and they were fine, but then treated my self to a pair of Oakley Half Jackets and they are the business - they fit perfectly with zero slipping or bouncing because they have rubber nose and ear pieces and being Oakley the lenses provide full protection from UVA/UVB light etc. At £89 they weren't cheap but there are worse glasses out there that cost more. Most of the Oakley range are decent for running fives, twenties, eyejackets etc.
18/03/2003 at 01:19
Try oakley M Frames,its the ones the pro's wear.Not cheap but no slippage and perfect fit.Never had any problem with them and they are 3 years old now.
18/03/2003 at 08:20
I'm a bit of an Oakley girl myself! For smaller faces the "Minutes" are great and look cool but are also functional running-wise..
18/03/2003 at 10:16
I've got some of the Nike Airelon glasses (same as Paula wears I think). Very light, don't slip, don't mist up. Think they cost me 85 quid, and they're well worth it.

Still hankering over a pair of Oakley M Frames though - might treat myself once spring arrives with a bit more force.

v
18/03/2003 at 12:29
I have Oakley Zero's (about £80 I think), echo the points about nil bounce or slippage. They have no frame at the bottom or side so all round visibility is excellent.

They also have that vital ingredient; you put them on, set off then forget you are wearing them. Oakleys are on the expensive side but I have tried cheaper alternatives and personally found there to be comparison.
WildWill    pirate
18/03/2003 at 12:43
I use Briko Lucifers with HC lenses (Interchangable) good in the sun but dont need to be romved in the shade

Use them for cycling and running - good venting to reduce steam up and no bounce while running
18/03/2003 at 13:16
Guys - Sigma Sport (www.sigmasport.co.uk) has some sunnies on offer, including the ones WW mentions above. 50% off. Go look! go to the site, click Special Offers on the left then eyewear on the next page. Have used Sigma for ordering off the net before and no complaints.
N
19/03/2003 at 21:08
Those sunwise glasses seem too cheap to be true... Do they have proper UV filter lenses in them or are they just pretty coloured plastic? 7.99 seems much more attractive than £80+ for a pair of Oakleys...
Moe
20/03/2003 at 09:06
They have been reviewed in the mags in the past and rated pretty well, they are just no frills glasses that do the job, they look fairly good too. Where did you see them for 7.99?
1 to 20 of 72 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.