The budget - nutrition VAT

10 messages
21/03/2012 at 14:09

Half heard that sports nutrition (powders etc) is now going to have VAT payable on it (in line with sports drinks)

Assume that means a 20% increase on Rego, PSP etc - maybe from 18:00hrs tonight.

Anyone else confirm?

21/03/2012 at 14:40

Just checked the full budget and its as follows - hence its from Oct 1st.  Get stocked up before then!

VAT measures

2.179 VAT: correcting anomalies and closing loopholes – The Government will address anomalous VAT borderlines by applying VAT to the provision of self storage facilities and to approved alterations to listed buildings. VAT will also apply, to the extent that it does not already do so, to the sale of hot food, cold food consumed on the supplier’s premises, sports drinks and holiday caravans, and to the rental of hairdressers’ chairs. This will have effect from 1 October 2012.

21/03/2012 at 14:52

Now that's a bizarre list of previous exemptions!  Can't say there's much to moan about there.

If you want to avoid VAT on sports nutrition, how about baby food?  I imagine Heinz Chocolate Pudding, 3 - 6 months would make an excellent recovery snack.

21/03/2012 at 15:17

I think (you'll have to check) that chocolate milkshake is 0 rate VAT (but milkshake powder isn't) - in which case I can't think of anything better as recovery drink.

Wasn't there a study that showed that milk was at least as good a recovery fluid as any recovery product on the market?

21/03/2012 at 15:38
I have tried baby rusks as bike fuel (high in carbs, easy to digest), unfortunately on a par with cream crackers in the ability to suck moisture out of your mouth...
21/03/2012 at 22:48
There was an experiment recently on a tv show that put up milk against a sports recovery drink and the milk did indeed do better.  Just google it and there are even studies about it.
22/03/2012 at 08:26
Mmmmm yep I always down chocolate milk as my recovery drink...delicious.
seren nos yn canu    pirate
22/03/2012 at 08:35
if you have to pay vat on tampons and towels then everything in the world should have vat paid on it......
22/03/2012 at 08:46
The entire tax system is pretty much random. I've given up expecting it to make any kind of sense.
25/03/2012 at 19:45
VAT on Greggs pasties though? Sure bring any glimmer of a recovery to a dead stop and back into recession...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.