This is odd

Garmin 305 picking up heart rate without a chest strap.

8 messages
03/09/2013 at 21:10

I went for a run with my club tonight, we did about 7 miles.  I wore my Garmin Forerunner 305 as usual, and also as usual I didn't wear the chest strap to get a heart rate reading. But (and this is not usual) when I uploaded the data from my 305 I had a heart rate reading for the run. It looks like it was accurate too, because I do occasionally wear the chest strap just to check my heart rate and so I know what the readings are likely to be. I wonder if it's possible for a 305 to pick up a signal from some where on my body without me wearing the chest strap. Maybe the heart itself gives off a bit of an electronic signal?

seren nos yn canu    pirate
03/09/2013 at 21:28

if you were on a club run then it would have picked up the reading from one of your fellow runners heart monitor.......it would have locked onto the nearest one....

03/09/2013 at 21:36
As Seren says it must be picking up the signal from someone else's strap.

I'd only start to worry if this was happening when you are running on your own.
03/09/2013 at 21:37

You mention several things that are not unusual, sounds like Tom Jones syndrome to me.

cougie    pirate
03/09/2013 at 22:00
Why why why ?
04/09/2013 at 00:29

Yes good point, I was running with other people who had Garmins on. I never thought of that.

It's not unusual to go out for a run

It's not unusual to check on how you've done

But when you get home and see a high heart rate

It's a relief to know it belongs to your mate.

04/09/2013 at 00:30

Delila...

Yup, turn your watch on away from other members and that should help (unless they have a good steady HR and you want to use it)

05/09/2013 at 13:08

it's when it picks up both and shows HR350 ....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.