Trail Shoes for newbie to trail runs

Is there a trail equivalent to Nike Equalon?

9 messages
15/10/2007 at 14:01

Hello

Looking to do my first trail race soon. I would consider myself a heavier runner and currently wear Nike (Ladies) Air Equalon for all my other running. I overpronate and the Equalons have been perfect for me.

I would want a shoe which would get me through the mud, forest and slippery stones, but could also use on sections of country road / pathway, and would give me the cushioning and protection from overpronation that my Equalons give me.

I suppose also I'm looking for something not too expensive as I doubt I will be using these ones as much as my other shoes...

Any advice greatly appreciated

NatD

15/10/2007 at 14:05

P.S.

I have looked at the Trail Shoe Guides etc on Runners World and in the magazine but was wondering what people thought from practical experience -

Thanks

NatD

15/10/2007 at 15:52

I've just bought some Salomon Speed Cross for my first forray in to Trail running. I haven't worn them in anger yet but they were like pulling on carpet slippers and are so comfortable. They are extremely lightweight and unisex. The bloke in the shop (I know he wanted to sell them to me but...) said he did trail/fell running (he also said all the right things so I don't think it was bulls**t) and said he had these and that they were great, even better than the more expensive models Salomon do...so I bought them.

If you have a CCC or Go-Outdoors shop nearby you can pick some up in the sale for £45 (that's £20 off). Hope this helps.

15/10/2007 at 22:17
I love my equalons too, I couldn't find any equivalent for trail.

On the basis that I only run trail/fell very occasionally - a couple of times a year - I have just got some neutral shoes, nike pegasus trail for this. if you are only running on this terrain occasionally or for a one off, you could probably get away with a neutral shoe, I think the problems for us overpronators occur with sustained activity over a period of time in the wrong type of shoe.

I did wear my equalons on some very tough rocky terrain on holiday in Arizona and they were fine, I was more worried about damage to the air sole than myself but they survived.

Good luck, please post back if you find anything suitable.
15/10/2007 at 22:35

Thanks 

Think I'm in a similar situation you - I would only be running trail once or twice a year, and perhaps breaking the trail shoes out in winter if the disused railway lines and canals we use get overly muddy or snowy.

I've got a while till the race yet, might go and see the nice man at the local running shop on Wednesday, they were the people who got me on to the Equalons a couple of years ago so I trust their advice - I'll let you know the outcome!

Thanks

NatD

Nam
15/10/2007 at 22:50
I overpronate and love my Puma Trailfoxes.
21/10/2007 at 12:52

After much deliberating and advice from the running shop, invested in a pair of Inov8 Roclites

http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG1&L=26&P=5050973001

I'm not going to find Equalons for trail, but because of the different terrain, a slightly different shoe is ok. The Inov8s seem so far so good on the first couple of outings.

21/10/2007 at 12:56

The Roclites are excellent shoes!

They are my preferred shoes for most things off-road - including the occasional bit of scrambling
Good choice

21/10/2007 at 18:33

Just purchased a pair of Roclites 320 about three weeks ago. I absolutely love them!

I'm looking for more off- road training runs just so I can wear them more often.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.