Trail shoes

Good trail shoes for a beginner

6 messages
11/08/2008 at 12:27

Hi

I am  looking to buy my first pair of trail shoes and want some advice... I currently wear Asics 2130 running shoes ad find them very comfortable. I think they are stability shoes for the overpronator and I was wondering if there were similar distinctions for trail shoes.

Looking at the trail shoe guide there doesn't seem to be the same focus on whether the shoe is a stability, performance, motion control or cushioning shoe. I am not sure which shoe to buy and try. Doas anyone have nay advice? Also where do you buy trail shoes - my local running shop doesn't seem to have them like they do 'normal' running shoes.

11/08/2008 at 14:52

Hi,

after months of running trails in road running trainers I finally went to Up and Running at the weekend and was kitted out with a pair of trainers which can accomodate both road and trail.  The staff were really helpful and seemed to know what they were talking about.  If you have an Up and Running shop close to you I would definatley recommend them. 

11/08/2008 at 15:38

Hi Alison,

thanks for the advice - there is an up and running about 45minutes away in Nottingham so I might try them at the weekend.  I am just starting some mixture off-road/road running training and I don't want to ruin myself by using the wrong trainers!!

12/08/2008 at 17:34
Try the Asics if you get on with their road shoes? Dedicated offroad shoes don't really have much concept of stability/pronation control. You need less cushioning and it's better to be closer to the ground to avoid turning an ankle. That said a trail shoes is closer to a road shoe and probably more what you want.
14/08/2008 at 13:22

Mys advice would be that if you get on OK with Asics road shoes then stick with their trail shoes

I have Asics trail shoes (Gel enduro) which have some cushioning and support and feel much like a road shoe to me only have a bit more grip.  

I only run off-road (bar the odd rural lane) and have the Asics for hard-pack trails and also 3 pairs of Inov-8 for everything from fell to wet mud when it gets really off-road! They are great on grip but have no really concept of support, cushioning etc. Tha'ts because it is not so much of factor I guess - who needs cushioning when you are running around in ankle deep mud? 

15/08/2008 at 08:35
thanks guys - I think you make a good point. I love my Asics road shoes so sticking with the brand sounds like a good plan.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.