Tyres sizes - a simple question

700 x 25 to 700 x 23 - is it possible?

4 messages
02/01/2013 at 13:40

I've decided to get a turbo trainer for the new year and along with it I was going to get a turbo trainer tyre.  After looking online, they all seem to be 700 x 23, but the tyre on my bike at the moment is 700 x 25.  Is it possible to swap these tyres over ok?

Also, before I spend the money on the new tyre, is it worth getting a special tyre for a turbo trainer or would a normal road tyre be ok?

02/01/2013 at 14:29

the 23 and 25 refer to the tyre width in mm - so changing from a 23 to a 25 will make very little difference especially on a turbo.

if you're after a turbo tyre then you'd also be best having a separate wheel for the turbo as it's much quicker to change a wheel than a tyre!  but that's going to cost more even with a basic wheel and casette.

changing tyres over just for a turbo session is a faff, and although a turbo tyre is undoubtedly better for the turbo, it's not a big deal if you stick with the road tyre - many people do use their normal tyre without any issues; others have had problems.  try that first and see how you get on - only get a turbo wheel if you feel it's needed or you want to splash a bit of cash.

you'd also do well getting some turbo videos to follow - Spinerval DVDs are good; Sufferfest MP4 downloads are better but bloody hard work!!

M...eldy    pirate
02/01/2013 at 14:33

I put a turbo tyre on a spare wheel that I had ... never in a month of Sundays do I want to try getting that on and off again at regular intervals, it took me three months to grown my thumbs back  

cougie    pirate
02/01/2013 at 14:43

+1 to what FB says - try it with your normal tyre first - only get a turbo tyre if you find you need one.  I've never felt the need to get one. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.