Ultra Marathon hydration backpack

Advice please!

41 to 58 of 58 messages
17/03/2013 at 20:08
mark thatcher wrote (see)

the Nathan packs are great - strangely enough I have a nathan synergy for sale - dual chamber bladder - only used twice...

Looks a great pack, great idea to have a dual-chamber hydration pack, but not quite what I'm after as mostly looking for dual bottle options. Hope you find somebody to take it off your hands.

17/03/2013 at 21:09

Oooh, just had a look at that, and the dual chamber and dial really appeals... Obviously I've some questions  aimed at Mark...

- one of the attractions of the Salomon is the fastening system on the front, how would the nathan compare?

- it does look quite big (could be the pictures) how is it when worn

- how much would you be looking for it?

Tony

11/06/2013 at 23:28

Realise there's been no activity on this thread for a bit but wondered if anyone could offer some advice?

Looking for a light vest/pack with bottle storage for pref over bladder. Could also do with somewhere to attach poles.

Any suggestions?

12/06/2013 at 20:43

I recently did a 50k using an Ultraspire Kinetic and was very impressed with it. Previously i had used an Inov-8 12 litre pack with the horizontal bladder but found it frustrating not knowing how much fluid I had left and whether or not to stop at aid stations to fill up.

On the 50k the Ultraspire kinetic carried the following for me in the front chest pockets and hip pocket: 12 gels, 3 energy bars, mobile phone, pack of tissues, buff, salt tablets, car keys. In the rear stash pocket I carried a Montane Featherlight jacket, small first aid kit, foil blanket, whistle and enough Torq Energy powder to mix up another 1.5l of fluids. 

I plan to use the Kinetic for future long runs and ultras. The larger the pack, the more stuff you will end up carrying. 

12/06/2013 at 20:50
Christ! Which 50k did you do that needed 12 gels and 3 energy bars? Must have been a hellish course.
13/06/2013 at 09:49

Hahaha... @Millsy1977 that made me chuckle on the train this morning!

Edited: 13/06/2013 at 09:49
13/06/2013 at 10:14
It got me a bit worried as I'm doing a 50k in August and am planning on taking 6 gels (max) All depends on the course I suppose.
13/06/2013 at 10:19

I've got a 111k next Saturday (22nd) so will probably take 10 or 11 for that... anything to get me through it! lol (currently wondering if a horse is allowed...)

13/06/2013 at 15:43

Guys, you need to embrace the gel!

It was the Causeway Crossing 50k here in Northern Ireland which is part of the Lost Worlds series. it was a coastal race with associated paths, climbs, beaches, stiles and the odd wet foot.

I use Torq energy products and have been for 4 or so years. Torq have a fuelling system that works on the basis of 2-3 units per hour. 1 unit is a gel, or an energy bar, or 500ml of energy drink at 6% concentration. On that race I consummed something like 9 gels, 2 energy bars and 1.5 litres of fluid. So 14 units in total over 5 1/2 hours. 

I ceetainly wasn't lacking energy but my legs were starting to feel the pace by the time I reached the end. I have no stomach problems with the gels and they are my main fuel source.

Not sure what a typical 50k course involves but the worst I've done so far is the Endurancelife CTS South Devon race. Despite being a couple of miles shorter than the Causeway at 29 miles it took me nearly a full extra 30 minutes to complete. It has total ascent of 3,500 feet. I guess the Causeway is probably closer to 2,800 feet of ascent.Not sure if these are classed as tough or hellish but they are certainly fun!

13/06/2013 at 15:48

I do love reading posts from other runners - when I say things like that are 'fun' to my work colleagues they tend to look at me with an expression that's a mix of sorrow/disbelief and outright worry at my sanity! lol. Always good to know I'm not alone!!

I've ended up getting the Nathan Vaporwrap for it. Seemed to do the trick!

Now just need to decide which gels to go with.... Have struggled in the past with them so need to pick some that will sit ok on the old stomach!

PS. Those races do sound fun!! lol

13/06/2013 at 19:32

Paris1933: If your stomach doesn't like gels, have you considered trying the old fashioned approach? There's nothing in Kendal Mint Cake but sugar, glucose and peppermint oil - so nothing for your stomach to object to - lots cheaper than gels as well. Then there's malt loaf, fig rolls etc.

13/06/2013 at 20:25

Jaffa cakes are the furure! A pack from M&S -each little cake has 7g of carbs and go down easily.

15/06/2013 at 11:38

I recently did a 50k using an Ultraspire Kinetic and was very impressed with it. Previously i had used an Inov-8 12 litre pack with the horizontal bladder but found it frustrating not knowing how much fluid I had left and whether or not to stop at aid stations to fill up.

On the 50k the Ultraspire kinetic carried the following for me in the front chest pockets and hip pocket: 12 gels, 3 energy bars, mobile phone, pack of tissues, buff, salt tablets, car keys. In the rear stash pocket I carried a Montane Featherlight jacket, small first aid kit, foil blanket, whistle and enough Torq Energy powder to mix up another 1.5l of fluids. 

I plan to use the Kinetic for future long runs and ultras. The larger the pack, the more stuff you will end up carrying. 

15/06/2013 at 12:47
Didn't you post exactly the same thing a couple of days ago?
17/06/2013 at 09:17

My computer crashed and I thought the post had disappeared but obviously it was sitting on a server somewhere waiting to be delivered!

17/06/2013 at 11:14

Hi folks, just wanted to say thank you to you all for the advice on this thread. I'm a simple novice who's just started training for a marathon so looking for slightly different needs to you leet long distance people, however, I have been wanting to get a hydration pack for it as I hate carrying bottles. Thanks to the info on here I've found out about Ultraspire and ordered and recieved the Alpha pack which seems to suit me perfectly at the moment. I would have bought a Camelpak Marathoner otherwise and that's really heavy duty and I think I would have had issues with that compared to the lightweight Ultraspire products...so, thanks!

17/06/2013 at 11:27

I used my Ultraspire at the weekend and I am very impressed with it. Wish I had discovered the brand earlier and avoided by several other hydration systems. We live and learn.

17/06/2013 at 11:31

Love my Omega

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 58 of 58 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.