Vaseline vs Body Glide

Which is better?

1 to 20 of 28 messages
05/05/2009 at 15:36

I use  vaseline on my toes to help prevent blisters but I am now upping my distance and I'm starting to suffer on the outside of my big toes.  I have tried every combination of socks/shoes and have accepted that I can't stop blisters altoghther.

I've never used Body Glide (or equivalent products) and wondered if it would do a better job of keeping me blister free.

Any advice appreciated.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
05/05/2009 at 15:50

I'd use vaseline on the feet personally, but I use a LOT of it and really slap it on!

I like bodyglide on my boobs and bum......

LIVERBIRD    pirate
05/05/2009 at 15:50
RW - do NOT use the above comment for "what's hot on the forums" please!
05/05/2009 at 16:22
have you tried corn plasters, tape or compeed instead??? sticking a physical barrier between your socks and feet may help
LIVERBIRD    pirate
05/05/2009 at 16:22

Sudocrem is FABULOUS on a chafed bum......

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh........

05/05/2009 at 16:39
FB, yes I do use compeed when I've got blisters and try slapping on the vaseline on top of compeed.  Not sure whether this achieves anything or not!
05/05/2009 at 17:37
I love bodyglide and used almost a whole stick of it for the marathon. Didn't have a single blister ANYWHERE! Or an chaffing for that matter. So as far as I'm concerned it does the job perfectly.
05/05/2009 at 18:16

I'm a Bodyglide convert.  But if you use alot on your feet, Vas will be cheaper. 

If you're getting a lot of blisters though, are your shoes big enough/wide enough/ laced properly?  I don't think you should have to accept that blisters just happen and have to be put up with.

Edited: 05/05/2009 at 18:31
05/05/2009 at 18:23
BDB I've had loads of pairs of shoes all fitted by "proper" running shops so I have kind of accepted that blisters are part of running .  I do have narrow feet - might this be a contributory factor?
05/05/2009 at 18:35
No idea on the narrow feet.  Have you tried twin skin socks?  Or even thicker ones?  Sorry if you've tried them all already.
05/05/2009 at 18:38

KS: I've tried : bigger trainers, (then told "too big" at running shop), various socks (currrently switching away from wool- type to "X socks"- seem better), vaseline ( certainly makes a gooey mess- dunno f it really helps), toe cap protectors from boots ( toe turns to sweaty mush inside it!- and you'd need to increase shoe size again to accomodate)- my blisters form at the tips of my toes, and under my toenails, so that my toenails are all in constant disrepair- I don't know the answer, but you're not alone!

If you find the answer- please let me know!

PS my feet are wide, so it ain't narrow feet that's the problem

Edited: 05/05/2009 at 18:39
05/05/2009 at 19:30

I love body glide, I have one with built in sunscreen so less to carry.

I did have an amusing incident in the ladies loos near london bridge last year befor the marathon. i walked in to find two young women with a tub of vaseling asking each other where they should pit it...I helpfuly pointed out that anything which can and might rub against anything else should be covered as it hurst if you run that far and dont. I talk from painful experience and now run comando.

06/05/2009 at 13:42

I use body glide and never really had any blisters with it. I thought the main benefit over Vas is it does not stain your clothes. As nobody sees the socks  this isn't really an issue so sometimes use vaseline on the feet

06/05/2009 at 14:44
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
I like bodyglide on my boobs and bum......

That could be construed in so many wrong ways Liver!
LIVERBIRD    pirate
06/05/2009 at 16:11

I know........

You'll have to take that at face value though! I didn't mean it in a rudie way - honest!

06/05/2009 at 16:59
Okay i believe you thousands wouldn't
04/04/2013 at 15:21

Whatever you do, don't use Compeed blister plasters as prevention. Did that last year for my first marathon where my shoes had been rubbing (thought it would last better than vaseline) and got terrible blisters UNDER the plasters. Still have the scars from them! Good luck. Suppose have the people at the running shops any advice?

04/04/2013 at 15:39

bodyglide gets my vote.

04/04/2013 at 16:43

at what distance does it really become a problem?

i haven't really suffered much so far (up to HM distance)

04/04/2013 at 16:50

i find it's more the temperature than the distance that causes me to chafe.

i don't really suffer from blisters on my feet at all, but the tops of my thighs and my nipples will start to bleed if it's really cold and they're rubbing together.

1 to 20 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.