Vibram Five Fingers Suck

16 messages
01/03/2011 at 19:29
I have sifted back to running barefoot on the beach since the Vibram's I bought over just 5 miles caused more damage to my feet than a 50 mile run in my cheepo Nikes.

The Vibram's have internal seams that rub, fast, though the arch of your foot, they press causing black toes and last and not least they seem to shrink when they get wet causing them to press even more. Truly the worst running shoes I have ever worn.

Running John O'Groats to Lands End, 860 Miles in 15 days
01/03/2011 at 20:10
I really like mine, they do none of the things you experienced.
01/03/2011 at 20:18
Just my personal experience with them, if they did not work for some people they would not have made the splash they have.

I definitely don't have a problem with barefoot running if it was not for the hazards on the pavements I would burn all my shoes tomorrow!
01/03/2011 at 21:02
lol given the state of most runners toes that would be a niche fetish
01/03/2011 at 23:07

They are like marmite. 

You either love them or hate them. 

02/03/2011 at 11:29

Did you rob a pair or something?

That's one scary avatar.

02/03/2011 at 19:26
No problems with my vibrams. Are you sure you didn't buy East Asian replicas?
23/03/2011 at 16:40
yeah, i had a pair of fakes before i realised and bought some real ones and wow.. what a difference, its HUGE.
25/04/2011 at 19:50
Ive not had any problems with them. If you're going to use them all the time and not rest properley then you will think they are rubbish because you will be doing more harm than good to your feet. Use them once a week as part of your training and slowly move over to them. Once you are comfortable with them they should be better than your trainers
02/11/2011 at 12:52
mine are fab (Bakilas). agree with AH
02/11/2011 at 12:56

Do you need neutral pronation to wear them or can the be used with people with over pronation and a second toe that is longer than the big toe? Cheers

02/11/2011 at 13:09

I'm experiencing a conundrum.

I wear customised orthotics normally (pronator, one foot points at a slight angle) - which are as far at the other end of the spectrum to Vibrams as you can go, I suppose.

I'm using the Vibrams for a weekly run (started with 10 mins, built it up per week and am now doing 5+ miles in them). They DO improve your efficiency and are just quite fun in themselves. A weekly 'Vibram Run' is how I'm going to use them.  

Perhaps the best thing to do before taking the plunge is do some beach / grass running barefoot and see if you like / survive that.

My second toe is a tad longer than my big toe but it doesn't seem to matter. The advice on the Vibram site is to take a careful measurement of the longest distance between whichever toe and the heel. Worked for me fine.

02/11/2011 at 13:20
Many thanks
WiB
02/11/2011 at 13:22

No issues with mine at all... Vibram Five Finger Bikilas. Definitely none of the ones that you described. Have used mine for running and during water sports as well, not one issue of them rubbing as described or "shrinking".

As mentioned above. Sure they are not fake? I can understand people nto getting on with the barefoot concept but I haven't often heard the quality of the product questioned.

WiB
02/11/2011 at 15:56

My thought - are they not too small and do you need a larger size?

Shrink - I doubt, not from the material they are made from. You feet are swelling as you run though. Black toenails def a sign that they are too small.

It could just be your foot shape / size. I can't use vibrams as my feet are oddly shaped.

02/11/2011 at 20:45

I just received an email saying that someone had responded to my thread. Admittedly I wasn't going to write anything but i felt like i should as in my last post I said that they are good. Well yes they are good but i learnt a valuable lesson. Don't use them too much. I have not worn them for about 4 months now as I now need the support a trainer gives me. The last run i did in them was the city of manchester 10k. I think i just over did it but i had to limp to my car and couldn't walk properley for about 2 weeks. The pain eventually went but it was so annoying to not be able to do any exercise for a long time.

So based on the last 8 months of use with vibrams or so, i have decided to go back to my trainers for the time being. 

I hope this follow up helps other runners.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.