Views on the Garmin Forerunner 110

21 to 36 of 36 messages
23/03/2012 at 10:25

That's odd, Just In Time.

When you say it's doing current and average, do you mean there's an option to show either, or is it displaying both at the same time?

I've had my 110 for about 18 months now, and am not aware of the current pace facility.

23/03/2012 at 13:04
The bottom reading is always active where it says "Pace"
So as i speed up and slow down it changes from say 8.13 to 7.20 so i know im holding a faster pace.
I was expecting this reading to be fixed and updated every mile.

So no it does not show both it shows current. There is no option to alter it either.
Maybe im looking at it wrong!

Looking at what it says in this review i think ive got my wires crossed.
-----------------
Note that most GPS watches actually show ‘instant pace’, whereas the FR110 shows lap pace. What’s the difference? Well, pretend you’re running 5 miles at a constant pace. In the middle of that effort you decide to sprint all-out for 30 seconds. In the ‘instant pace’ scenario, the speed/pace would show your speed at that exact point in time (fast). But the ‘lap pace’ speed would only show that as an average over the entire distance of the lap (5 miles as an example), so it wouldn’t change the speed displayed very much at all (and be slower looking). Just something to be aware of.
-----------------

My apologies. My mistake was expecting the lap pace not to move and just update every mile.
Edited: 23/03/2012 at 13:26
23/03/2012 at 14:06

Aha!

Problem sorted. Yup - it varies according to how fast you're going in that lap.

Still pretty useful imo.

13/10/2012 at 20:19

I dont get this pace thing, i was looking to get a GPS watch which whilst running i could look at the watch and it would tell me i was running a x pace at whatever point in the mile i was running- does the 110 not do this?

13/10/2012 at 20:33

This is an issue with GPS in general. None of them show real-time pace properly - I think it's down to the amount of computing power needed but I could be wrong.

However, footpod models like the Garmin FR60 do show real-time pace and do it well, but of course they're not GPS so you don't get mapping and navigation.

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 20:35
13/10/2012 at 22:48

I loved my 110 - when it worked. After about 6 months the first one stopped taking a charge properly and eventually was just dead. Garmin swapped it for me for a "refurbished" one that was a bit tatty but did work. Until a couple of weeks ago when it stopped taking a charge once again. and now doesn't work at all. It's just out of the 1 year guarantee. I've asked Garmin what I can do but they haven't replied yet. It was great when it worked, but I think I'll look for a different brand in future. 

15/10/2012 at 17:43
I started off with a 110 but upgraded to the cheaper 205!

I like to see current lap average pace and the average pace for the whole run displayed at the same time. The 110 didn't give that option. The 205 does.

I also appreciate the option of inputting advanced workouts. It seems that the 205 is discontinued - madness!
15/10/2012 at 19:47

I had a 405 and I found the instant pace feature jumped around too much to be useful. With the 110 you can set the auto-lap to a minimum of 400m and it will tell you the current average pace over the distance so far. I found this much more accurate and useful.

p.s. I complained above but having had a good play with it last night I think it's actually the charger clip that's the problem and not the device itself.

15/10/2012 at 20:42
The face on my 110 misted up on run after 2 weeks and the backlight stopped working. Amazon were great and exchanged it within a few days. Had replacement about a month now and so far so good so hoping it was a one off. Other than that it's ideal for my needs although noticed elevations can differ for the same route when I've uploaded to garminconnet.
16/10/2012 at 09:12

Elevations can be all over the place. After uploading a recent run, I noticed that at one point I'd plummeted into a 200m hole, then immediately climbed out of it. Funny, coz I don't remember that actually happening.

05/02/2013 at 07:59
My wife has been out 6 times with her 110. Yesterday it was raining. Today the watch is full of water and not working. I gather this is a common problem still not resolved. Buyers beware!
24/04/2013 at 09:05

Can any help, my garmin 110, says that I'm running the first in double figures!!!. When I know I'm as my running buddy has his garmin we run at the same pace and his records us doing around 9.00 / 9.30. So why is this on my garmin 110? It's only the first mile.

24/06/2013 at 17:12

I believe it is to do with the sat tracking system not knowing where you are when you set off on your run. When it does locate you, usually a couple of minutes into the run, the watch then starts to record your time. I experience the same problem and came on here to try and get some advice upon how to rectify this?? Can anyone help? Thanks 

24/06/2013 at 21:48

I too love mine - when it works... Sometimes it goes dead when I try to charge it and refuses to switch back on for several days. It sometimes refuses to pick up the HR monitor. Other times it decides not to save my workouts, despite pressing save. Ho hum. But otherwise, as a basic model, it's pretty decent!

25/06/2013 at 09:21

It very good as a cheap basic gps watch, has it not been superseeded now? by the FR10 or something, which has wireless data transfer i think and maybe more data screens.

Ive covered 3000miles with mine and it has always been set on 1mile autolap. so shows the average and hence anticipated duration of that particular mile. this works well for easy or long runs. when it comes to reps or intervals you simply press the lap button and off you shoot and it displays the average pace since you pressed the button, unless you go over a 1mile rep then you cant see the total rep time or avg.pace just how many seconds you are into the next mile and the pace of that small section.

can get condensation in it if your in a monsoon. mine has the light constantly on at about half power now as I got caught in a blizzard and it nearly killed me let alone the watch.

25/06/2013 at 10:17

This thing about inaccuracy on the early part of the run has I think been covered on here before.

If I understand it correctly, when the watch first detects a satellite, it's kind of a "temporary lock" on to the satellite, and if you set off with this temporary lock you'll get inaccurate readings until the watch properly locks on.

The way to check whether you've got a full connection is to see whether the "pace" display goes down to zero when you are stationary.

I don't understand all the technicalities of it, as I'd have thought that you are either connected or not, but this does seem to be the case.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.