WASHING TRAIL SHOES

WASHING MACHINE??

16 messages
bburn plO.dder    pirate
10/03/2011 at 11:30

My trail shoes are in a right state. They are caked in dried on mud, and a lovely muddy colour where muddy water has dried in. It was a bit wet last time I used them

How do people clean their shoes, I was thinking about sticking them in the washing machine, but not sure if this is a good idea or not.

Any ideas?

bburn plO.dder    pirate
10/03/2011 at 11:41

Thanks KK.

I think I'll give it a go. They are really bad, so I think it worth a try.

Just wanted a bit of re-assurance that I wasn't completely nuts for considering it

10/03/2011 at 11:51
I do what KK does as well - I don't even bother with the pillow case but take the laces out and stick them in a net bag (to stop the ends going through the drain holes and causing chaos)

never had a problem with sticking runners in a washing machine.
10/03/2011 at 11:59
in with FB on this one... never had a problem with sticking runners in a washing machine.
10/03/2011 at 12:06

How to clean shoes? Aim for the puddles on the roads .... or go for a run on the roads when it's pouring down.

Trail shoes are meant to be brown, mucky etc. And (on my rural routes) ... the tracks are used by cows & horses; the fields have been sprayed with fully fermented slurry, I'm hoping the brown stuff is mainly mud.

Although I have been known to hose mine down a few times.

bburn plO.dder    pirate
10/03/2011 at 12:40
Mick wrote (see)

or go for a run on the roads when it's pouring down.

LOL Mick, I just did that. Shame I only had my road shoes at work with me today.  I'm soaked!!
10/03/2011 at 13:10
In my experience, the're only going to get filthy again so half the time I don't bother cleaning them. If they get really bad,  I just bang the worst of the mud off, give them a scrub in cold water and hang  them up to dry naturally. This is also what Inov-8 and walsh recommend in their aftercare instructions.
10/03/2011 at 13:56
Or save time but putting them on a 30 minute cycle with no detergent on 15c. Dry naturally away from radiators etc stuffed with the work/money/travel sections of The Guardian.
10/03/2011 at 21:51
Shouldn't mud on trail shoes be worn like a badge of honour?
10/03/2011 at 22:32
Yeah if you're 15 maybe
10/03/2011 at 23:00

North London Runner:

Washing trail shoes is taking human vanity to an unacceptable level.

A bit like men wearing makeup.  

Now obviously I would never wash my running shoes, but if I did then I would get a basin of hot water and a nail brush and that would generally take care of business. 

10/03/2011 at 23:08
Why shouldn't men wear make up? Plenty of men in African tribes wear make up. Maybe the mud we get round here is a bit thicker than where you are. When you can't see the boot for the mud and can barely get it on your foot on a sunday morning its time for a wash. A washing machine is less messy and takes less effort than scrubbing in a sink. It appears to me young man that it is you who is being vain about this issue-no offence
11/03/2011 at 11:00

Ouch!

I hadn't even mentioned the time that I painted my toenails to prevent them from cracking during a long race!

13/03/2011 at 15:16
Pete S wrote (see)

In my experience, the're only going to get filthy again so half the time I don't bother cleaning them. If they get really bad, 

I just bang the worst of the mud off, give them a scrub in cold water and hang  them up to dry naturally.

'Ditto'

Mine might get, at the most, a soaking in the Water-Butt/a scrubbing with the 'yard-brush', before being left to dry (I do stuff them with newspaper in speed up the process though)

That;s if the fell-race/'XC' run isn't wet enough to clean them off over the last mile or so....

Works for my 'Mud-Claw 330's, 'Roc-Lite 315s', & Mizuno 'Wave Harriers'

18/03/2011 at 21:42
I hosed my trails down with a powerfull-ish spray , washing line for a day then put them on a radiator upside down. Good as new post 15 miles, one of which was in a calf high muddy field.
18/03/2011 at 22:20
You should never dry them them on a radiator

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.