Waterproof gear

Help a soggy runner out please

1 to 20 of 43 messages
17/08/2010 at 15:04

After watching the wet stuff come down from the sky non stop for the past two days I think it is time I invest in some new waterproof gear. My ten year old NY Marathon rain jacket is starting to feel it's age and my cheap tracksuit bottoms are about as moist repellent as Sponge Bob Square Pants.

Any recommendations regarding waterproof kit? Could't find any recent reviews on these wepages.

17/08/2010 at 15:20
I find skin is pretty waterproof!

Seriously at this time of year I really wouldn't bother with waterproof kit when running at all. The only problem is when you get wet and cold, but that's not really a problem at the moment. Although they make claims for breathability, at these temps, you are going to sweat so much that you'll be just as wet from your own sweat anyway. I avoid wearing stuff on my legs though, as they become very heavy and uncomfortable when wet, so just wear shorts.

I tend to get in the shower when I get back from a run, so I'm just as wet at the end of that whether I've worn a jacket or not.

I only use them very rarely in winter either tbh. I find my windproof gilet and a ls thermal plenty warm enough for most runs.
17/08/2010 at 15:30

I got soaked this morning but as I sweat a lot normally the rain at least keeps you cool.

I was wearing running tights, a short sleeved technical t shirt (from Aldi) and a pair of thin Nike running gloves at 5.30 this morning and felt OK. First time I've worn the gloves as its started to get a bit chillier in the mornings but they where good at wiping the rain from my eyes.

17/08/2010 at 15:35

I ran in my water-proof jacket during a downpour a couple of weeks ago and hated it. I felt how I imagine things wrapped in cling-film and then bunged into microwaves fee. It was unpleasant, hot sticky and unpleasant.

Different in the winter, of course, but even then, I find myself getting bit too warm. So I'm with Paul and EC; at the moment, usual tech gear and then in the winter, a waterproof jacket (Nike in my case) but only if it's absolutely bucketing down, otherwise, grin and bear it. 

17/08/2010 at 15:38

My problem with the rain is mainly that the kit starts to weigh me down (as exiled claret mentions). I also do my training runs with an ipod, so when it rains I need to have the earphones covered, hence a comfortable hood is a neccesity.

17/08/2010 at 15:53

JayVee if you have 'technical' fabric it shouldnt weigh you down when it gets wet. The only problem I have with a wet top is bleeding nipples sometime.

I run with an Ipod or Iphone, I put the Ipod/Iphone in a food bag and then in a pocket and just let my earphones get wet, they get wet with sweat anyway (mine have lasted 6 months of sweat and rain) but if you dont want to ruin an expensive pair just buy some cheap ones for a couple of quid.

17/08/2010 at 16:00

I never run in waterproof gear even in winter - windproof yes, but waterproof leaves you just as wet on the inside as on the outside.  Pertex fabric breaths really well, weighs nothing, lasts for ever and blocks the wind 100%.  Far more comfortable.

Montane featherlight - I have the girls version of this, its the most versatile piece of kit I own.  As for the I-pod........ no, I don't usually wear one, maybe a swim cap on top?

17/08/2010 at 16:03
If it is raining cats and dogs (and here it often is) technical clothing will get soaked and weigh me down. Most of my kit is dri-fit or Coolmax. If you have any recommendation then I'd appreciate your suggestions.
17/08/2010 at 16:06
Tigerlily wrote (see)

I never run in waterproof gear even in winter - windproof yes, but waterproof leaves you just as wet on the inside as on the outside.  Pertex fabric breaths really well, weighs nothing, lasts for ever and blocks the wind 100%.  Far more comfortable.

Montane featherlight - I have the girls version of this, its the most versatile piece of kit I own.  As for the I-pod........ no, I don't usually wear one, maybe a swim cap on top?

I second that recommendation.
17/08/2010 at 16:08

"Maybe a swim cap on top"

I'm a foreigner in this country. If I went running in a swim cap the natives would lock me up. 

17/08/2010 at 16:09
don't get huffy Jay-Vee  I think most people would agree that dry-fit/ cool-max shouldn't weigh you down.  It should be close fitting though - I would imagine if it was flappy it might feel uncomfortable and heavier?
17/08/2010 at 16:15

Although I look like a huffy so and so, no huffiness was implied. My comment was intended to be made totally "sans 'uffiness" as they say in France.

I actually like running in the rain, but as stated earlier, if it is really pouring down then my experience is that technical kit will not be able to wick the moisture away quick enough, especially taking in to account that I sweat like a sailor with a bad hangover.

17/08/2010 at 16:16

http://www.zbramotors.com/pics/smilies/i-agree.gif

Good quality technical clothing won't soak up much water and won't weight you down.  None of mine does.  If you're working hard you'll get just as wet inside a waterproof coat anyway so stick with something windproof for the cold days and just get wet.
17/08/2010 at 16:17
Hmm, x-post
17/08/2010 at 16:21
Is the rain different in the UK to the rain on mainland Europe?
17/08/2010 at 16:22

Jay, you're misunderstanding the principles of technical kit.  The wicking properties are used to draw moisture from the inside to the outside to evaporate without staying in the fabric (like it would with cotton).  This is also why wearing a waterproof jacket is pretty pointless if you sweat a lot because the sweat is wicked away from your body, stopped by the jacket, then wicked back to your body.

If it's raining then your kit will get wet so its wicking properties are irrelevant.  What you need in that situation is something that won't hold too much water and that will dry wuickly when it stops raining.

17/08/2010 at 16:26
JayVee wrote (see)
Is the rain different in the UK to the rain on mainland Europe?
Yes, ours is wetter. Come and visit Manchester sometime to experience it.
17/08/2010 at 16:28

True Jay-Zee - "wicking properties" in fabrics only refer to their ability to wick sweat away and when they are soaked they don't work right.  Thats why its important that it is close fitting, so it cannot hold excess moisture.  If you wear a waterproof jacket, in my experience you end up just as wet as if you didn't have a jacket on.  This is because for a waterproof jacket to effectively "wick" away sweat you need  a temperature differential between the inside of the jacket and the outside of the jacket.  In British conditions you don't get enough differential in temperature - Goretex for instance works at optimum in Alpine conditions, where you are warm on the inside but it is sub-zero outside the jacket. That is what it was made for, not our warm. soggy climate!  Windproof is essential though - you are warm because you are running and it is the windchill which makes you cold.  If you block out the wind, although you are wet you are fine.  This time of year however wet - windproof isn't necessary either (well, not to me)

Maybe run naked.........As E-C said "skin is waterproof"........ or naked in a swim cap to protect the old I-pod?  LOL

17/08/2010 at 16:30
OOOPS x-post with M.isterw - sorry!
17/08/2010 at 16:37

This is interesting. M.ister W

Clearly when it comes to technical gear getting totally soaked, you are not that bothered. Me on the other hand, I get well bothered. It must be an issue of personal comfort. Right? That's the only thing I can come up with considering our opinions differ so greatly.

As an example: I've gone out running in my normal kit (coolmax) only to have the skies open up mid run. I find that the kit gets bogged down and clings in an uncomfortable way. But then again when I have a rainproof jacket with say a coolmax shirt underneath, sure it gets wet, as you so rightly mention it gets wicked back to your body. In other words, it is also uncomfortable, but to me not as uncomfortable as with just the coolmax shirt. Does that make any sense?

Or is it just psychological?

1 to 20 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.