Waterproof Running Jacket

21 to 25 of 25 messages
12/06/2013 at 15:56

Another vote for Gore or gortex but don't for the windstopper go for the full life time guarantee gore version. Which will be horrifically expensive but will get the rain out whilst letting your skin breathe and not turning you into a boil in the bag human.

06/02/2014 at 22:45

You probably don't have much of an idea!!!! I've had a training programme that's been bloody hard by itself. Add to that this bloody bloody weather and you're still only getting close. 20miles a week is doable. 25 is normal, but very wet and not pleasant. 30 is in the realms of norm. My fitness enjoys the 25 mile crew. 

08/02/2014 at 01:13

my OMM. Is simply awesome in the worst conditions. 

08/02/2014 at 19:11

Marmot Leadville gets my vote. Keeps me dry and is pretty breathable but only wear when it's cold and wet. A steal at 70 quid in the sales. If it's just wet then a cap and gilet do the job.

08/02/2014 at 21:04

I have never personally carried any running jacket for a run/event of less than 40 miles in length. When you get into events longer than that, everything you thought you knew about running clothing goes out of the window. Your body ability to cope with wet/cold is compromised, and you cannot really afford to get soaked. What’s more you are out in the open for a long time, so your jacket has to be pretty darn waterproof.

In my personal opinion, the most effective waterproof fabric for ultra distance is Gore-Tex Paclite Shell, which unfortunately has now been replaced by Gore-Tex Active Shell. In their attempts to make the fabrics more breathable, manufacturers have compromised their weather resistance. My current weapon of choice is an Arcteryx Alpha Paclite Smock, and I don't know what I am going to do when I have to replace it!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.