Waterproof Running Jacket

1 to 20 of 25 messages
03/01/2013 at 12:48

Hi,

I've been looking for a waterproof (not water resistant) running jacket for my Marathon winter training. I've come across the Nike Storm Fly Running Jacket which seems to be a real bargain at £39 on SportsShoes - Lady Storm Fly Running Jacket . Is it up to the job?

Thanks,

Liz

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 12:49
03/01/2013 at 12:59

Problem with waterproof jackets is they have a habit of being heavy and as good at keeping the sweat in as the rain out, so make you very hot and prone to overheating.

In rain i go for less clothing but make sure that i will be warm.

03/01/2013 at 13:16

agree with flat footed, you are better off with something that is windproof, as you will be wet, either with rain or sweat, and you need to keep warm, something that stops the wind chilling you is better

also - I have found different makes have very different fittings, for example, when I tried on some adidas stuff there really wasn't room for my boobs in there, though nike I havev always found to be a better fit, but depends on the shape of your body

03/01/2013 at 13:31

I agree with FF and mathschick - waterproof clothing will only make you sweat more.  What you wear underneath will be soaked, and you may over-heat (and cause chafing) 

I don't tend to bother with any kind of jacket, but something like a headband or buff can be useful to keep water out of your eyes.

03/01/2013 at 14:29

I just stick to a Montane Litespeed windproof. As others mention you just end up wet with sweat in a waterproof. My concessions to rain are a Lowe Alpine goretex baseball cap to keep my head dry and therefore warm and also to keep the rain off my glasses. The other thing I use is a buff around my neck as this stops a lot of the rain running down my neck, this seems to be where most water gets in.

Or just embrace the rain and feel virtuous.

03/01/2013 at 15:18

I had a Goretex running jacket it was superb & it was completely waterproof & also let heat out, as it's supposed to. Unfortunately it was stolen by some cretin & I couldn't afford to replace it, I bought a cheaper 'water resistant' jacket & it's naff in comparison, if it's not freezing cold I boil up. Someday I will get another Goretex jacket, they're worth the extra!

03/01/2013 at 15:27
Im one for just getting wet too... My montane jacket was supposed to keep me dry on the inside but I find the sweat gets me just as wet as the rain would! Just one of those things we have to accept living in the UK. 2012 was the third wettest year on record apparently.
03/01/2013 at 15:55

If you want a waterproof garment for running in, I suggest you consider a gilet. The same applies about sweating and breathability but at least your trunk will be warm while wet. The trouble with waterproof jackets is that the sleeves also get wet inside and they make your arms wet but also cold and clammy.

03/01/2013 at 19:04

Liz, I have the same jacket as shown on the link in your post. Personally I am more than happy with it and feel that it keeps the worst of the wind/rain etc off whilst not making me feel too hot and sweaty. 

I do prefer to wear a jacket to train in during the winter because I do feel the cold quite easily!   

03/01/2013 at 22:03
You can get some lightweight waterproof jackets but not from Nike, Puma or Adidas. My Rab Demand smock is Event, taped seams and comes in at less than 300g. Mountain Marathon use there own proprietary fabric, Berghaus and Mountain Equipment also do amazing running specific jackets using goretex active-somethingorother.

If you invest in a good quality jacket you really shouldn't feel like your boiling in a bag.
V4D
04/01/2013 at 11:13

I've got the Nike jacket you've linked to - I only wear it on very, very wet days and have found it to be good as long as I don't wear to much under it. For not so heavy rain I wear a Sugoi gilet which keeps me dryish and warm without overheating.

04/01/2013 at 11:56
......but then I can only wear a jacket if it's chilly and wet. Once you are actually out I don't think the rain matters too much on sub 2 hour runs but it does impact on your motivation for the first couple of minutes.

I found the best thing is just to wear a cap, keeping the rain of your head and face really helps whilst you're persuading yourself to get out the door.
XX1
05/01/2013 at 15:57
I too am considering purchasing a waterproof jacket... I believe that anything made of GORE-TEX Active Shell fabric will be lightweight, breathable, and completely waterproof. As most of my training is done at an easy pace I don't think getting wet from the inside will be a problem... If anything it can be difficult to build up any body heat when the wind is howling and the rain is lashing down.
XX1
05/01/2013 at 18:26

I actually love my waterproof jackets, I have 3! A Gore - Goretex one that is heaviest and warmest, it doesn't get used my me now! A montaine minimus which is great, lightweight and packs up small and Finally an OMM Kamleika smock which is easily the best, lightweight, quiet, stretchy!!! I don't get too sweaty in them!

06/01/2013 at 15:33

l got a dare2b windproof jacket from Debenhams in the online sale last year. Think it cost me something like 17 quid and it's the best investment i've ever made.

It's windproof, water resistant, lightweight, bright orange and has reflectant piping.

I'll see if l can find a link for you.

l actually stood in my shower with it when l first got it and it passed with flying colours. It got to the stage l would actively wait till it was raining so l could wear it out and even wear it when it wasn't inclement weather too.

07/01/2013 at 22:36

Just got the OMM Kamleika waterproof and breathable jacket. really light, stretchy and soft, so comfortable to wear and doesn't russel when you run. it's brilliant, but pricy. £135.

12/06/2013 at 09:37

Intimepromos is an awesome online shopping site for waterproof jackets and backpacks. My friends use their waterproof jackets before going outside in rainny wather and they are happy with their jackets. Try intimepromos.com here you get your waterproof jacket in low rates with high quality.

Top Quality Promotional Apparel

cougie    pirate
12/06/2013 at 10:01
They use them before going outside ? You need to fix that leaky roof.
12/06/2013 at 15:24

Personally I don't think that fully waterproof jackets have any use in U.K conditions, outside of ultra distance events. 

Just my take. 

12/06/2013 at 15:29
I've never really needed one for marathon running but have signed up for the SDW50 next yr and a waterproof jacket is on the mandatory kit list so will have to find one.
1 to 20 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.