What trainers for icy surfaces?

Icy.

21 to 29 of 29 messages
29/11/2012 at 13:25
EKGO wrote (see)

Run off road

erm...... its still icey!

Frozen mud etc. can be just as lethal as tarmac. At least roads may have been gritted.

29/11/2012 at 13:42
Just attach yak trax or other ice grippers and try and avoid Tarmac I find the spiky grips better than the yak trax personally!
29/11/2012 at 14:03

Yak Trax are for snow, not ice, though they're better than nothing for ice. When offroad they work well except where a water flow has frozen on a slope across a smooth trail. On pavement they are good except where there is smooth ice and you change driection on it, ice on a camber, or one way or another run anything but delicately.

In addition to the spikes built into shoes already mentioned there are ASICS Arctic that have replaceable spikes. They're not my favorite because they are not carbide tipped, so will wear down very quickly if you don't stick to ice and snow. Icebugs are better all round than these and I have a pair with several hundred km on them that have blunted but still offer reasonable grip.

Strap-on spikes are good for the odd occasion but I prefer a shoe with carbide spikes because I could spend a couple of months running on ice and/snow, so I choose either spikes or Yaktrax for the weather and route I expect.

29/11/2012 at 15:18

Off road is usually far less of a problem

29/11/2012 at 23:04
Last year (this year?) in the snow and ice I wore my Inov8 Roclites both on and off road. I was surprised how good the grip was and could run unhindered. That said I wouldn't fancy it on black or sheet ice.
30/11/2012 at 11:26

I do exactly the same as normal in my offroad runs - winter's for cold morning runs across frosty hillls. Rare that you hit substantial patches of ice. Confidence is king. Rutted and frozen solid ground can be hard work and a good spot to turn an ankle. On road, a decent trail shoe usually gives enough grip.

There've been times I've done reps on flooded and frozen footie fields in xc spikes when the roads have been deadly

30/11/2012 at 12:42

there are also the Salomon Spikecross 3 Climashield (eg from Wiggle). If I didn't already have most of the aforementioned products I'd probably go for these for icy trails, since I love the normal Speedcross 3 so much.

30/11/2012 at 19:26

spiked O-shoes are unbeatable for snow - ice - dry/wet rock - wet/dry wood - mud etc,etc.....

03/12/2012 at 13:12

A bit of ice (well frozen wet grass) which caught a few out at the Cardington Cracker yesterday. The mudclaws were fine and coped admirably (unlike my legs!) 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.