Whey protein

Is there a place for whey protein in my training

9 messages
15/05/2014 at 22:13

I was just wondering if anyone uses whey protein in there training? is there a place for it or should it be just used for weight lifters? Is there any benefits using it? cheers j

cougie    pirate
16/05/2014 at 09:28
Not for me. Normal food is enough and a milkshake after long runs.
16/05/2014 at 10:30
I have some . I only usually take it immediately after long runs or fast paced runs over 6 miles. So I generally only take it once or twice a week.
Better for me really as it means it lasts longer
16/05/2014 at 12:48

I asked this a few weeks ago, the general consensus was that if you are into running and not into body building, then it's pretty pointless, but you should try to get some protein inside yourself within half to an hour of finishing long runs, so say when you've put in a couple of hours plus effort then get some protein, now be it a simple diy milkshake, the extra protein isn't really necessary, or have your tea if it's the evening or breakfast if morning straight after you get back

So if you want to spend a lot of money on it you can... but really it's not more benefit then eating a bit of protein through a normal food source after a couple of hours effort. anything less and it's even less justified.

I came to the conclusion that a banana a small spoon of peanut butter 250mls of milk, and a few ice cubes gets me enough and is cheaper and a lot more fun.

16/05/2014 at 13:15

300ml of semi-skimmed milk, blended with a handful of porrige oats and a teaspoon of chocolate powder serves my protein needs after a hard training session.  Protein powders are fairly pointless (and hugely expensive) for us mere mortals. Although, if you are out and about, or at a race, a protein bar would do until you get home.  It will help to kickstart the recovery process.

Edited: 16/05/2014 at 13:18
16/05/2014 at 17:13

milk+banana + hydrate after a session is good for me too.

however

1. whey protein is metabolised more quickly.

2. might be worth taking it after hard sessions...just in case. (bearing in mind the previous point)

3. if you are vegetarian, again, it might be a just-in-case.

There are also supposed benefits fromother add-in 'ingredients' such as creatin

I use it after hard sessions. FWIW.

16/05/2014 at 23:58

That's great, was thinking of using whey protein shakes to aid recovery. But maybe it's a bit of a placebo? I'll just keep running and eating right. Cheers everyone

17/05/2014 at 00:01

it's not a placebo...it does for sure do something.

the queries here are whether or not it is better than having other animal protein after exercise (eg milk)

25/05/2014 at 17:03

chocolate milkshake and a yogurt. job done.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.