Which running watch? Garmin 620? 910XT?

Views and experience required please!

3 messages
22/07/2014 at 18:00

I have been using a Garmin 610 for just under a year and was generally happy with it, until it died completely and suddenly.  Fortunately I purchased it from Amazon who immediately gave me a FULL refund as soon as it was sent back to them. What a great company!

I am now in a dilemma as to what to buy to replace it.  I was dead keen on the 620 - but there seems to be a lot of bad press regarding the GPS accuracy, which as far as I am concerned is an essential strength!  I have since looked at the 910XT and like it - although the lack of WiFi upload is a shame. ANT+ is just not very well suited to large transfers, in my opinion.  Certainly the latest versions of Garmin Express seemed unreliable with uploading run data.

I already have a bike computer and don't run triathlons.  So those features of the 910XT aren't particularly of value.

I like the analysis features of the 620 but don't attach much priority to that.

I'm really interested to hear from anybody else with experience of the 620 - would you buy it again or would you go for something else instead?

Thanks,

Steve

22/07/2014 at 18:32

I sold my 910 to buy a 620. I have no regrets, mainly I often found the sync with the 910 was a ball ache. Switch pc on and try for half an hour to get it to upload, sometimes having to restart the watch and/or the PC to get a connection. The synch directly over wifi is brilliant on the 620 and the thing gets a satellite lock in like 5 seconds compared to sometimes minutes on the 910.

both are great watches, remember though there is a 910 replacement coming later this year according to Ray Maker. I would say the fenix if the inverted display wasn't so terrible to read, that makes the fenix a deal breaker for me. If they allow the screen to be normal I would sell my 620 and buy one but apparently the hardware makes it impossible.

Edited: 22/07/2014 at 18:33
22/07/2014 at 19:28

Thanks Frogbmth - how do you find the GPS accuracy of the 620?  That seems to be the only (but major) negative I hear.

Steve

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.