winter gear

what are people wearing?

1 to 20 of 25 messages
08/01/2010 at 12:57
hi there i'm pretty new to this forum. I'm just wondering if anybody has any bits of kit they couldn't have survived the winter without?
08/01/2010 at 14:09

I've not been out in this cold snap, as I'm so cold after the walk from the railway station I can't face going out again, so it's the treadmill.

Anyway in previous years (well last year) I'd say gloves, a thermal base layer and running tights/long bottoms and a hat if you've not much hair (OH makes me wear one then I end up carrying it as I get too hot).

SJ

08/01/2010 at 14:10

Oh the gloves don't need to be thick, they do some thin silk ones at Decathlon (about £4 I think) which are fine, just something to take the edge off the cold.

SJ

08/01/2010 at 15:02

yeah i agree with you SJ on the gloves, i just wear the brooks vapor dry glove not too thick but still enough. Other gear I have been wearing ths winter which has really helped me is in the list below.

Mizuno wave ascends- great grip in the snow plus a water resistant upper which keeps my feet resonably dry considering the current climate the bonus with these is apparently unlike a trail shoe you can wear them on the road too- £45

Odlo sports underwear base layer- wow this has been one of the best pieces of kit i have ever owned! I wore it in Portugal just before christmas in temeratures of 20C and didn't overheat, then three weeks later i've been wearing it in our artic climate under my lightweight jacket and i have been staying toastie warm! Apparently this is what it's designed to do. At £50 its pricey but i'd definately say its worth it !

Kathoola Micro spikes- believe it or not these are like crampons designed for hiking and even running!When it got too trecherous for even the grip of the mizuno ascends I happened to see these on the internet and gambled on them- they have been supberb!  they are dead lightwieght and clip straight onto any running shoe in about 20 seconds! Without these i'd probably have a few broken bones by now because i wasn't going to let a bit of snow and ice slow me down-ha!  £45

I get my kit from  newcastle's northernrunner as i live near by in northumberland and they are pretty helpful and seem to have gear you can't find elsewhere, I think you can find all of this stuff on their site, it's defo worth a look! www.northernrunner.com

Cheers and I look fwd to seeing what everyone else couldn't live without during the big freeze!

JOE C

08/01/2010 at 16:36

Couldn't live without my Helly Hansen base layer and my RonHill hat, I don't seem to need gloves but I like to wear my hi viz for safety.

Obviously I wear more than a hat and a HH layer

Getting some Yaktrax for next year though.

08/01/2010 at 19:28
What amazes me is how much I heat up; I set off with gloves, hat, windproof jacket, etc - only to end up carrying all of them; although today was about -3 or-4 for the run, so actually kept them on!
08/01/2010 at 20:59

I cant speak highly enough of the Linebreak compression gear I have!! Wore it today with just a vest n thin shorts and was toasty warm even in -3c conditions!!

Quite dear to buy over here but I found this supplier:-

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=151360&last=1&V=6&SP

LESS than half price and so good I just ordered more this week!!

08/01/2010 at 21:39
It's got to be my buff. Keeps the wind from whistling in one ear and out the other!

And a really lovely Nike wicking zip up hoodie. Got it on the cheap in the summer when no one wanted winter gear.

Plus all the usual stuff, gloves, leggings, base layer top and reflective snap bands.
09/01/2010 at 12:31
LP84 wrote (see)
It's got to be my buff.

Seconded - buffs are great and versatile headwear.

My headtorch - night running in the snow with a headtorch has been great.

09/01/2010 at 13:29

sealskinz socks, windproof jacket, cheap £1 fleece gloves, thermal tights and my ear cover band!!! I've just been layering a couple of tops under the jacket!

In this snow Innov8 Mudclaws and icegrippers have been great I've not slipped once

09/01/2010 at 14:52
I would not be without my all over duvet suit ...   it keeps me cool and warm got it for oxfam for a quid!
09/01/2010 at 18:57

shorts

short sleeve tshirt

soft shell windstopper jacket that has thumb holes which keeps hands warm

...thats it ! 

09/01/2010 at 19:39
A P 26 wrote (see)

shorts

short sleeve tshirt

...thats it ! 

I am man...hear me roar!

Are you in Newcastle AP?

09/01/2010 at 20:03
UnderArmour ColdGear top
Nike Shorts
Nike Lightweight gloves
Shoes
A grimace

...is what I shall be wearing this winter.
09/01/2010 at 20:05
PJAZ wrote (see)
LP84 wrote (see)
It's got to be my buff.

Seconded - buffs are great and versatile headwear.

My headtorch - night running in the snow with a headtorch has been great.

another one for Buffs also long sleeved top tracksters and if its really cold like it has been on long runs a base  layer
09/01/2010 at 21:21

If you saw the Great Edinburgh International Cross Country today you'll see that women can run half naked in this weather too! Wonder how they avoided getting 'nippy' without the cameras noticing! (I can confirm I am man though)

I'm in South west london, hardly cold down there! I seem to warm up quick and my legs dont really feel the cold...must say I wouldn't be able to do it without my windstopper jacket, still find it amazing how it blocks the wind keeps me warm, dry and comfortable, it was expensive but definetly worth it!

Went for a 10km today wind started to pick up in the 2nd half, it would have felt like -5C but my jacket still managed to keep me snug! 

TNH wrote (see)
A P 26 wrote (see)

shorts

short sleeve tshirt

...thats it ! 

I am man...hear me roar!

Are you in Newcastle AP?

Edited: 09/01/2010 at 22:25
11/01/2010 at 11:25
all those wearing shorts and t-shirts you must be running fast to keep warm! I used to do that when I was doing 20 mpw but then when i bumped it up gradually to 80+(in 1 month)I soon realised that i had to wear more gear as hammering it every day was killing me!
BKL
11/01/2010 at 13:20
Skins, i love them and along with a Gore top I am happy in any weather.......so my absolute never go without is my Skins.
13/01/2010 at 14:38
yeah i also wear skins- great bit of kit! have you ever used the travel and recovery ones for after a hard race?
13/01/2010 at 17:09

I'm loving my SKINS arm warming sleeves. I don't like long sleeve tops while running so these are perfect since i can wear a base layer and short-sleeve top over that with these to protect my forearms. There very light and really keep the cold winds out.

Couldnt do without my Gore hat and glooves either

1 to 20 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.