Winter Gear

11 messages
28/09/2004 at 13:52
Please can you advise which is the best winter gear for ladies, and where is the best place to buy it from.

Many Thanks
cougie    pirate
28/09/2004 at 14:46
Nice long sleeve Helly Hansen.
Wooly or Fleecy Hat.
Wooly gloves (that you'll probably lose out on a run as they get so hot)
Tracksters or Tights
Gilet
Rain Jacket to keep the breeze off.

Aldi can be good when they sell running stuff.
28/09/2004 at 14:58
Aldi will have more Crane winter running gear ie long sleeve tops, tracksters, wet proofs in I think its October 7th there is an add in the new Runners World mag, get your early xmas pressies in.
cougie    pirate
28/09/2004 at 14:59
Oooooooooooooooooooooooh !
28/09/2004 at 15:33
Aldi, it is then.
Have seen their ad in rw mag...

Thanks for your help
28/09/2004 at 17:19
Get the cheapest gloves you can buy, pound shop ones are best, as you will lose them. I get too hot in a hat - I've got a fleece headband which is great, although granted, it's not sexy.

Tracksters are a bit drafty - tights are warmer.

Two pairs of tights are even warmer, or wear thermal longjohns/boxers underneath (Lowe Alpine Driflow are excellent).

Windproof rain jacket is the bet bit of kit you can buy - keeps you warm and dry, and makes the worst weather bearable.

For kit, I find that Nike, Newline, Sugoi, Lowe Alpine and Saucony are best for quality and fit. But they're not the cheapest, which is where Aldi comes in.
29/09/2004 at 11:30
do you not get too hot in a windproof jacket? will the aldi ones be breathable? I was wondering what to wear in teh rain to prevent gettign too wet and cold, I saw advertised a waterproof gilut for about £10, any idea if that wil be of use? it was in that catalogue which came with runners world mag?
cougie    pirate
29/09/2004 at 11:34
Helen - Lizzy is in Iceland (the place not the Supermarket) so windproof is probably vital.

The Aldi ones last time are showerproof but no more and not that windproof, but as you get very hot running - they're usually fine for all but the most extreme weather.

Don't worry about wet - if you're jacket is waterproof - you'll get soaked with sweat anyway. You just need to keep warm.

Gilets are good as they keep you warm, but also keep you cooler with the exposed arms.
29/09/2004 at 13:23
ooh i wasn't sure about what jacket to buy myself - i'm a newbie. Would a windproof/water resistant one be better than a waterproof one? Don't know whether the extra for a waterproof one is worth it. I'm not doing serious running, just a get started programme.
Ta for any advice
01/10/2004 at 13:53
Got a Ron Hill rainjacket last year -about 30 quid which was allegedly half price from Bourne Sports. Waterproof and breathable and it's fine to run in. Get a bit warm but better than being freezing cold. Gloves bought some "Hilly" ones at a 10K race as an afterthought about 6 quid.
DRT
01/10/2004 at 17:23
I use a mizuno jacket, light breathable & rainproof that I bought 1/2 price at wiggle when its really lashing it down, otherwise a gillet.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.