Winter Running Tops

Advice wanted please

3 messages
26/11/2008 at 22:20
A brief summary: I usually run for between 20 and 45 minutes at any one time.
My budget is fairly limited, say to about £30 to £40.
Although I have run for years, I always get a bit unstuck in winter for clothing for my top half (after yrs playing football I am happy with shorts) - usually relying on T-shirts and sweatshirts that get me too hot and are not much good in rain.  I've just aquired (from Somerfield!) an excellent under vest that wicks away sweat and is cosy under a T-shirt.
The On Test review of jackets in last month's RW was interesting but it is such a minefield.  I've spotted these tops in the freebie catalogues that drop out of RW -
From Pro-Direct - Do-Running Men's convertible running jacket £19.99.   From Sweatshop - New Balance Men's Wind Jacket nearly half price at £30.
Any opinions out there? Will either of the above (on top of a vest/T shirt) keep me (a) warm and (b) dry on a 20-45 min run in cold wet weather? I need to hurry up and buy something asap! Ta!
27/11/2008 at 10:03
GS - best option I've found is to avoid jackets with sleeves as any sweat will just end up trickling down your arms and annoy you....

the key is to keep the torso warm so a gilet is the best bet here worn with a long sleeve wicking T (tighter the better) - you can also wear a lightweight fleece as well over the T and under the gilet if it's that cold. if you can afford a windstopper gilet, all the better

my winter run tonight will be lycra shorts/long sleeve T/gilet plus gloves and hat to keep the extremities warm (and the hat to act as a buffer for the headtorch strap)
Iron Pingu    pirate
27/11/2008 at 14:06
TK Max has so great stuff in at really good prices.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.