winter shoes - goretex or not

6 messages
12/09/2008 at 17:30

Tend to do a mix of on and off road but have decided to go for pair of Nike Air Structure Triax. Only dilemna is that they do both normal and gore-tex versions.

As my off-road bits can be a bit wet (avoidable puddles) am wondering if anyone has experience of gore-tex and would recommend or otherwise. 

Thanks

cougie    pirate
12/09/2008 at 18:30
Cant really see the point - splashes will run down your legs anyway. I'd go for the cheaper option.
13/09/2008 at 09:07
Thanks cougie - any more views on GTX vs normal - both same price !!
15/09/2008 at 09:02

Normal IMHO. The shoe maybe waterproof but they still have a great big hole at the top

I know that GTX is breathable but by the time that it's stitched/glued in and surrounded by leather/plastic any degree of breathability disappears.

If you're worried about a waterproof solution for your tootsies, have you thought about a waterproof sock? never tried them for running in but I know that they are quite popular on the old adventure racing circuit.

TMM

15/09/2008 at 09:38
Goretex (or any similar waterproofing) will make your feet hot and keep sweat in so even if the water doesn't get into the shoes (which it will!) you'll still end up with wet feet.  I recommend the normal shoes and a good pair of socks made from a wool mix.  They'll stay comfortable even when wet.  My favourites are Running Bear socks.
15/09/2008 at 09:51
Thanks for all the replies - I had actually ordered the GTX version (Nike Air Zoom Structure Triax)  but have just phones dorunning and switched to the non GTX version which fortunately they also have in my size at great price.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.