xempo kit

I don't get it

21 to 40 of 118 messages
19/05/2011 at 14:44
I'm getting a white one just to p*ss off the people in colured ones when I overtake them.
19/05/2011 at 14:44

Blimey - I was completely unaware of this so the spammer didn't do a great job

I'm green according to my HM time but only yellow for a mara - would I be a fraud wearing a green top in a marathon?

cougie    pirate
19/05/2011 at 14:45
LOL PRF - I like your thinking - you're basically trading your medals.
Sell high - buy low !
seren nos    pirate
19/05/2011 at 14:45
TimR wrote (see)
I'm getting a white one just to p*ss off the people in colured ones when I overtake them.

that made me smile
19/05/2011 at 14:58
It's a nice idea for a present for someone else, or a prize in a competition.

Agree that the half vs full marathon times are a little out of sync. My PBs are 1:53vs3:59 and I've got the slowest HM PB of any sub-4 runner I know - in general people say 1:50 (not 1:55) equates to sub4 and I think they're right.

And also it is very "early days" in that there's no age/sex grading - a clubmate of mine ran a sub 2 hm this spring in her sixties (in hot weather too!) which is bloody good going compared to if a hypothetical son or grandson did the same!
19/05/2011 at 14:59

Having said I wouldn't wear one, I do think it's probably a decent commercial idea..

*Duncan Bannatyne voice*  "Ahm unn"

19/05/2011 at 15:00
cougie wrote (see)
LOL PRF - I like your thinking - you're basically trading your medals. Sell high - buy low !
I cant claim credit for the idea - Barnsley Runner flogged his for £35 on the day of the race and passed on the tip!
19/05/2011 at 15:01
seren nos wrote (see)
TimR wrote (see)

that made me smile
Is this a severe case of reverse snobbery rearing its ugly head again?
19/05/2011 at 15:18

+ 1 for Mr Puffy's comments.  I too was annoyed by the spamming on threads - reminded me of something to do with the number 6. . .

Now, if they were really clever, they'd make one which would change colour as you passed the finishing line, thus putting you in the correct colour banding.

Marketing hype, just another way to get people to buy more.

Doesn't appeal to me, I'd rather buy the colour that I want.

19/05/2011 at 15:21
parkrunfan wrote (see)
cougie wrote (see)
LOL PRF - I like your thinking - you're basically trading your medals. Sell high - buy low !
I cant claim credit for the idea - Barnsley Runner flogged his for £35 on the day of the race and passed on the tip!

Dumb/obvious question... So are these being bought by people who just haven't run a marathon but want the medal to pretend they have?
19/05/2011 at 15:24

Who knows?

The guy who bought mine said '...it's for my grandmother'. Hmmmmmmm......... 

seren nos    pirate
19/05/2011 at 15:24
I would have to go sub 3:15 for a purple one.............just need to get my OH to run a little bit faster to get me the only decent colour
19/05/2011 at 15:42
parkrunfan wrote (see)

Who knows?

The guy who bought mine said '...it's for my grandmother'. Hmmmmmmm......... 

People are strange... why have a medal for something you didn't do?

*Polishes George Cross and Purple Heart*

cougie    pirate
19/05/2011 at 16:01
I think you're polishing George too hard if you've made him cross ?
19/05/2011 at 16:09
It's ok, he just winked at me. 
Lee the Pea    pirate
19/05/2011 at 16:12

From their website: 

"Only runners who have completed half or full marathons will be wearing the Xempo logo, and Xempo verify all qualifying times, so you can be sure that when you are wearing a Xempo running top you're part of a pretty exclusive club"

Sounds a bit wanky, or maybe i'm just bitter because i'd only qualify for a white top! 

19/05/2011 at 16:18
Surely there is a link between how hard you train and how fast you are??
19/05/2011 at 16:22
North London Runner wrote (see)

Depends on your assessment of "how hard" I suppose - its like fast and slow in that its a relative term applied (usually) to percieved effort, rather than a defined formula for amount of work put in (which is the way you are probably thinking about it).

Ooo nothing like semantic twisting to really start off an agrument

seren nos    pirate
19/05/2011 at 16:34
North London Runner wrote (see)

it ahs to be part of it.............but all the other factors....of age, sex, general health, size............and natural ability must be part of it as well........

some people can train hard all year around and struggle to run a 4;30 marathon................and a young lad might go out without any training and run faster.....

but training hard will improve any indiviuals time..................we just aren't all playing on a level playing field

19/05/2011 at 16:40

DHMD :  Why limit the colour change to the finish line? Why not incorporate GPS and get them to change colour as you run .. inbuilt pacing. Now that might interest Mr Ballantyne?

21 to 40 of 118 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.