xempo kit

I don't get it

81 to 100 of 121 messages
20/05/2011 at 14:15
Re: FB's post above - if you do decide to do that for tri Dan may I suggest purple for the full distance top?
20/05/2011 at 14:25

Dan - I wear race shirts all the time to train in (unless they are cotton) simply because they are in my drawer and I didn't have to go to a shop to buy them.  For the majority of them I really don't care which race they relate to.

Having your PB time on the shirt?  Nice little earner when people are progressing.  You could sell me a white one now with 4:26:52 on and then another when I get to 4:15

20/05/2011 at 14:29
Sprint - yes we do both half and full marathon gear. If you go onto the website shop, you can filter by half marathon. Purple one says Xempo half marathon and sub 1h30 on the reverse

SN - I'll give you a purple one free of charge. That's a promise. Once you've run the time though!!

Mr P - I specifically asked permission from RW to alert people to the competition which is free to enter. Surely not an unreasonable thing to do when you've launched a brand aimed at marathon runners, and you are looking to gain some awareness. If a single three line post on a marathon chat forum genuinely p!ssed you off as you suggested earlier, then I can only apologise. I honestly never intend to upset anyone.

FB - I'm way ahead of you. Eventually we'll expand into different distances and sports. But as the man at Gillette says, "just keep adding a blade at a time".
20/05/2011 at 14:38
I suspected the same Dan but needed to ask - good luck! and as they say - aptly maybe - "don't run before you can walk"....
20/05/2011 at 14:39
[applauds Dan A quietly]
20/05/2011 at 14:46
Dan A wrote (see)
Jeepers - fair enough; if it's not for you then I won't try to convince you otherwise. But perhaps you should think of it as a training top rather than a racing top.

Thanks for the suggestion, but even less point - for me - anyhow.  I have all the info that I need in my head and in my records.

But I appreciate that I'm in a very small minority, so you may well have a market.

seren nos    pirate
20/05/2011 at 15:32
Little M.iss Ultra Happy wrote (see)
Re: FB's post above - if you do decide to do that for tri Dan may I suggest purple for the full distance top?

dan .at the rate I'm progressing.................I hope you are in business a long time till I can earn that purple one..........maybe when I get reincarnated as a runner

20/05/2011 at 16:03
I've got a Xempo top. And very good it is too. I just see it as something a little bit different really and a little bit niche almost.

I can vouch for the quality of the kit though - top notch, and I hope to upgrade to a silver one in the Autumn
seren nos    pirate
20/05/2011 at 16:25

Dan.........you will owe me one if this keeps up..................nearly 2000 views on this thread.............I bet loads of people missed the competition on the home page as the go straight to the forums.........

so this is better advertsing than your messages on the marathon threads

20/05/2011 at 18:12
seren nos wrote (see)

Dan.........you will owe me one if this keeps up..................nearly 2000 views on this thread.............I bet loads of people missed the competition on the home page as the go straight to the forums.........

Seren nos has a point there Dan 

I have to say I like the idea, but I doubt I would have the confidence to wear it for a race.   And I know those views seem to conflict with each other.  

So maybe, as Dan suggests, I'd wear it as a training top. 

I think I've talked myself into making a purchase.

20/05/2011 at 18:50
I still think it's sexist. If it's all about recognising and rewarding performance women shouldn't be judged against men's times. I'm not convinced it wasn't just an oversight rather than a desire to keep it simple and transparent.
20/05/2011 at 18:58
Wobbled wrote (see)
I still think it's sexist. If it's all about recognising and rewarding performance women shouldn't be judged against men's times. I'm not convinced it wasn't just an oversight rather than a desire to keep it simple and transparent.

Strictly speaking  isn't it also ageist ?  Like a few on here I'm cracking on a bit and getting up the the faster colour bands will be practically impossible for me.

Would making the bands based on "age graded" results be the only fair way of working out the bands ?  That takes account of gender and age doesn't it ?

Wonder how hard that would be... mind you it would make the little logo a bit obscure.  Rather than "Sub 1:55" it would have to be "+65%" or something similar.

seren nos    pirate
20/05/2011 at 19:01
weevil.............love the idea of an age grading colour instead of a time..............being a mature woman............if I keep on running faster as I get older...i might eventually be able to get my purple top
20/05/2011 at 19:17

Well, from my 2007 time (3.09) I'd have a nice purple one else I'm blue (about 15 times over!).

So, Dan would you go back to 2007 and use my Leicester Marathon time? Also ran a sub 1.30 half in 2007 but haven't raced a half since!

BTW, fair play for coming on here and answering the questions and explaining where you're coming from.

20/05/2011 at 19:23
Well as a 47 year old I donned my red top this Wednesday for the first time and loved it. Top quality and I was doing some reps so I felt right. And I just thought 'f it' I'm damned proud of what I achieved and when some of these youngsters watch me trotting past slowly, agedly and inelegantly on a recovery run they can see what I'm capable of when I race.

Wear your achievement with pride: you earned it. Top bit of kit.
20/05/2011 at 20:33
seren nos wrote (see)
weevil.............love the idea of an age grading colour instead of a time..............being a mature woman............if I keep on running faster as I get older...i might eventually be able to get my purple top

That is an excellent point

As long as you kept running as you got older you'd work your way up the grading system... even if you didn't get any faster !  Just got to maintain the pace and wait for the years to mount up and eventually the Gold shirt will turn up   Only way I'm ever going to get one.... or the much coveted purple one for that matter... or the blue...

20/05/2011 at 20:43

Dan Very good of you to come on and answer the points raised.

I am torn, I can see both sides of the discussion. I am proud of what I have achieved and to be honest I tell anyone and everyone my PB and probably bore them about my running. However, I am not sure about why I would be wearing the top.

Plus, most importantly it seems I am the only one who doesn't loke purple. Which is obviously the colour range I am in.

seren nos    pirate
20/05/2011 at 22:09

scooby............i will swap you my orange top for your purple one

my other problem is if I get faster now I will change to a green top............i don't like green much

20/05/2011 at 22:43
There's this guy I know who has one of them fancy gold ones and he was telling me a story about one of the side effects of wearing this kit. It's kind of inverse to what RWH mentioned in that it actually makes you run faster.

So this guy I know, he was jogging around Regent's Park at ~7:15 pace and he gradually caught this guy in front of him. He passed him slowly and the gap gradually opened up. Next thing you know he hears footsteps and breathing closing in which annoyed him as he was just out for a leisurely jog and didn't want to have to defend his advertised time. The pace picked up slightly and got down to about 7 min miling but the guy still was there. He would have thought the "sub 2:30" on his back was enough to deter anyone from trying to pass him but it didn't seem to. To cut a short story long, this guy I know, well, he decides to drop in a "sub 2:30" pace mile to show this other geezer the goodness of the gold. Said geezer didn't have long to think about it after that as he was blown out the back door.

So be warned, wearing it can make you go one of 2 ways. Sit back and let the numbers taunt knowing that you know that they know that on your day you'd have them for breakfast (a la RWH), or the less subtle approach, to explicitly demonstrate said pace (a la this guy I know).

In addition to this, I now know that "this geezer" was actually one of Dan's QA runners who are out there to try and bust any imposters who claim undeserving colors. When they spot someone sporting a Xempo color, they chase them down until the subject has demonstrated they can run at least 1 mile at the pace on their shirt. If so, then the subject passes the test and they can keep their shirt. In addition, a new stripe magically appears on the sleeve to indicate they have passed the rigorous QA process. If they don't pass, however...
cougie    pirate
23/05/2011 at 13:46
I saw these at the Expo at VLM and thought I'd treat myself to one if I hit my GFA in Edinburgh.
I haven't mentioned this on here yet for fear of jinxing it - but as I got the time I wanted - a purple tee will be on its way to me soon.

Its my little treat to me for running so well. It'll mean bugger all to everyone else - but so long as I'm happy eh ?
81 to 100 of 121 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.