10 years off...

41 to 43 of 43 messages
21/06/2014 at 21:39

Tie a ribbon to your trophy, and wear it round your neck for the entire holiday!

Cracking time for the Park Run and great to win the race today.  But beating him by four minutes takes the gloss off it a bit.  You really didn't need to go to all that trouble over the last few weeks!

Well done, and hope you fall in love with running again.

26/06/2014 at 11:54

Brilliant - both the parkrun time and in beating your family. 

I disagree with Nose Nowt - 4 minutes is really rubbing your brother's nose in it.  If you'd only beaten him by seconds he could have claimed that he let you win.

Hope the rest of the holiday was as good!

27/06/2014 at 15:20

Thank you both for your kind words.

The challenge is over so I won't be updating this thread anymore, however I have decided to continue with the running. I've set myself a 16 week program in the hope of getting my 5km time as low as possible, hopefully somewhere around the 17 minute mark.

I'm going to do a 5km park run every 4th week so my schedule will look something like this:

Weeks 1-4 - Starting off at 50km per week and building up to 80km per week by week 4, all slow runs of between 8km and 16km with a slight taper week before the 5km parkrun.
Weeks 5-8 - 80km each week, again just slow runs with a slight taper and a 5km parkrun at the end of week 8.
Weeks 9-12 - Cut the miles (or km's) down to 60-70km and add in one temp run each week with a parkrun at the end of week 12.
Weeks 13-16 - Cut the slow miles down to 50km per week and add in an interval session or two per week as well as the tempo, with one final parkrun at the end.

So the first 8 weeks will just be base building with the harder/faster stuff coming in during the second half of the program. If I can get my time down towards 17 mins then I should be in with a chance of winning one of these parkruns, which would be amazing!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 43 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.