10k Christmas Present!

Help Needed!

4 messages
05/01/2004 at 12:50
I got an entry into a 10K run for one of my Christmas presents! I have been entered into my first 10K race on the 15th February, this leaves me 6 weeks to train. I go the gym regularly and do cylcing & cross-training and run maybe twice a week, outdoors for about 40-50 mins. Does anyone have a good training plan I can use to prepare me in 6 weeks time. Also should I just run and not go to the gym?
05/01/2004 at 12:51
check out
www.halhigdon.com
there are some good schedules.
good luck.
05/01/2004 at 13:06
Or you could look at the 10k schedules on this site. Don't know what they are like cos I have never used them.

Just remember with schedules, they can be tweaked to your own circumstances/needs.

There is a 4 week and an 8 week schedule.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=84
05/01/2004 at 15:20
Phillipa, I'd say it depends on how seriously you want to take this first race. If you can manage 50 minutes non-stop running then there is no queston of not being able to get round. With only 6 weeks I'd recommend running at least 3 times a week, make one a long slow run (you should be able to chat fairly easily)of an hour at least and for the other 2 sessions you should try increasing the pace for say the middle 20 mins of a 50 minute run.

You should bare in mind that mileage should be increased slowly (i.e. 10% per week) to avoid injury.

Good luck, but be warned, it becomes addictive

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.