1st 10k

21 to 28 of 28 messages
27/09/2004 at 10:51
Hi PonyExpress

Thanks for your vote of confidence! However I don't really believe it until I've proven it, so we'll have to see. 15 secs per km off means sub 43 and that really is going some.

I did a 10k on a different treadmill last night at 2% also, pushed like mad and only managed 44:50 - a much firmer board I think, has give which is sapping, but no bounce. Also, I don't think I could push as hard on the road, matter of willpower.
ip(FeS2)    pirate
27/09/2004 at 11:08
JennyD, I have to second what JJ and a couple of others have said.- It doesn't matter how old you are.- pretty much no-one gets away with blasting themselves to the absolute max every run they do.- Suddenly, and probably without warning, everything will fall apart and you will be posting about the misery of not being able to run for a week, or a fortnight, or a month or 6 months depending on what you're unlucky enough to damage.(I've been out for the best part of 5 months so far)

- That being said, your times are fantastic, and racing is different, chasing people down/trying not to let them get away from you is hugely motivating.-

Good luck.
27/09/2004 at 13:41
Hi I p

No, I don't blast myself every time, just when I want to prove myself. I probably do a lot fewer miles than most of you! That was the only 2nd 10k I've done this month, I probably do no more than 5-7k each time, a variety of intervals and hills, about 4 days a week. I do struggle on a 10k (in one go) and I've only done it 3 times in all. I'm vegging out this week before next weekend, running tomorrow and Thurs and that's it, stuffing my face with loads of carbs :-) By the way, it's Southend - you can't get much flatter than that.

I do hope I'll feel better motivated with others around me on the road though.

By the way, it's not just me who's slower on this new treadmill, my husband is too - we're both about 2 mins slower for a 7k on 3%. Ouch! So, I was quite chuffed that I managed a sub 45 10k(2%).
27/09/2004 at 14:20
Arghhhhhhh!

I’m doing my first 10K this weekend, and reckon it’s going to take me about an hour and a quarter!!

Crikey, that must mean I’m REALLY rubbish! And I was so proud of myself for managing to build up the stamina to run for that long!!!

Anyone else just plod through?
27/09/2004 at 14:35
Roxie

NO YOU'RE NOT REALLY RUBBISH!!!

We all have to build up from somewhere, you'll improve. You're only racing against yourself and the clock, don't worry about what others are doing. There'll always be someone faster than you no matter what your level (even Paula Radcliffe).

If you can beat yourself on your 2nd 10k, you can be really proud!

At least you have the stamina to keep going for 10k, I'm scared I might have to stop and walk!
27/09/2004 at 17:14
Thanks! I’m in a bit of a panic about it anyway — I’ve only ever done 5Ks before now and am quite new to running.

I think I’ll just see finishing as a massive achievement, and if I don’t come last, then that’s even better!

Good luck with your run!
28/09/2004 at 00:13
forget willpower ...just get mean..let your competitive spirit out of its box..think winner.

good luck but above all ...enjoy the day
28/09/2004 at 10:26
PonyExpress, er...thanks. I'll try not to let the old git beat me :-)

I'll let you all know next week how I get on...I hope I'm not going to make a prat of myself.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.