2014 VLM

Entry

19 messages
30/12/2012 at 00:09

Hello,

I am in the process of finishing all 5 runs in The World Marathon Majors Series.

London would have been my last one( untill they included Tokyo). I guess I have to do that one also.  Is there any way to enter  the 2014 Marathon without going through the Draw or paying lots of money to charities. I entered all my other runs with qualifying times( Boston, New York, Berlin,Chicago) Usually I donate money to the local foodbank in town ( near Toronto ). Yes I am from Canada, so qualifying times don't apply. I am 60 years old and a 3:30:00 hrs runner 

Would appreciate any advice!!!   

30/12/2012 at 00:23
you can buy a travel package with guaranteed entry, I can't do links, you can google it though
30/12/2012 at 01:14

Thanks Mr.Puffy,

those Traval Packages are not cheap. I do travel with my wife and we like to do our own arrangements. We usually stay 2-3 weeks in the country I run in.

30/12/2012 at 13:18
Google London marathon good for age.
That will tell you what the qualifying times are and the entry process . Not sure how it applies to overseas entry though.
30/12/2012 at 15:42

Unfortunately it does not apply to Non UK runners. A little disappointing since it is part of the World Marathon Majors.

30/12/2012 at 19:05

It's a hugely popular event.  You, as a foreigner, can buy your way to a place via a travel package - this is not an option for British runners.

Your other alternative is a charity place - a route a lot of British runners have to take, as ballot places are limited.

So if you want to 'tick off' the marathon majors, get your credit card out and don't expect any sympathy from British runners who can't get a place.

Alternatively, if you are interested in running marathons, there are loads of others.

31/12/2012 at 00:03

Sorry Wilkie,did not mean to offend you. I took to running because it is not a"Credit Card", Sport. Shoes and shorts and everybody is equal. Boston,New York, Berlin,Chicago, Toronto,Vegas,etc. are all hugly popular events and none of them is as restrictive as London.People from the London Marathon Store are telling me that they can't get in. Maybe entry procedures should be revisited? How about a first come first serve entry procedure? I am also not looking for sympathy from British runners, since they are as frustrated as a lot of foreigners are (and I am sympathatic to their cause). By the way I ran loads of others!!! 

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
31/12/2012 at 06:56
It's dead easy for foreigners to get in ! Just live with and and put it down to the quirks of the English
31/12/2012 at 09:42

I believe the entry system for the New York marathon is a ballot, too?

If that fails you, as a foreigner, you can buy a package.

Sounds a lot like London (only you don't have to hang around a park in November for three hours before the start).

31/12/2012 at 15:12

No Wilkie, in NY they have good for age qualifications for everybody not just US Citizens.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
31/12/2012 at 15:16
And they also have guaranteed entries for those of us from abroad, fancy that just like London.

Stop moaning and get on with it
31/12/2012 at 15:20

You can also do 9+1 for NY if you are local (wish they would do that in London!). You run 7 NYRR events, volunteer twice and do 1 marathon I believe and you get entry for the next year.

*cough* possible route in is to join a UK club and enter the ballot for their place - our club gets 4 places and only about 20 people enter for them, but it has entry requirements for the ballot - not all clubs do - some just do names in a hat...or go work for one of the sponsoring companies, or try entering one of the many competitions to win a place!

31/12/2012 at 15:25
I'm not sure on the exact costs but I think that New York is horrendously expensive to enter! Which does make it a "credit card" sport.
seren nos    pirate
31/12/2012 at 15:38

love that its not a credit card sport.but then pays to travel to Boston, New York, Berlin,Chicago and is planning london and then toyko

31/12/2012 at 15:43
That made me laugh as well.

For the price of a standard New York entry I can enter London ( only ??32) and another 7 or 8 races.
31/12/2012 at 16:16

Thanks everybody for all the info and have a happy New Year!!

06/09/2013 at 14:03

Hubertus, did you get a place in the end?

06/09/2013 at 16:24

Wow, didn't see this before. How rude some people were to somebody merely asking a question. Bet he got a great impression of British runners from this!

06/09/2013 at 16:29

I thought the same thing - bit of shame! The guy was only asking and i share his frustration as i want to do NYC

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.