5 weeks to improve 10k time

Need to shave some time off my 10k in just 5 weeks

3 messages
09/12/2012 at 20:21

Hi

I have been training for a 10k which i completed today (43:30) in howling winds. My brother was meant to come and compete as well, but was ill. We have now found another 10k in early january and i am wondering what sort of training I should do for the next 5 weeks?

In preperation for this one I was completing:

Tuesday 3 x 10 min temp with 2 min recovery or 10 x 1min sprint 1 min recovery

Thursday 20 min slow, 10min medium, 5 min fast, 1 min sprint

Saturday 5x 5 min tempo 2 min recovery or 8 miles medium

My feeling is that I am knackering myself with each run being around 6 miles once I include warm up and cool down. 

Could I usemy time better? I do have the option of running to work one day a week (4 miles each way). I also cycle to work most days. 
I was also wondering about doing some strength excercises as I have never done any before?

any ideas gratefully received.

thanks

simon 

09/12/2012 at 21:58

It looks like a good training program to me. You might want to throw a longer slower run into your program in two weeks time just to keep the distance in your legs but other then that you look like you are rightly making speed/tempo work the focus of your training. Best of luck for the next few weeks

Triathlon Blog

10/12/2012 at 14:21

thanks, really hoping for a sub 40 at some point in the next 7 months. (before I turn 41) in July.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.