5k here I come

1 to 20 of 363 messages
20/05/2013 at 20:43

right.

you should go shorter though.... 800 is particularly easy.

Pudge    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:47
Joseph Preston wrote (see)
Now youre being silly Basically its got to be short enough to be easy, but not so short that people who can sprint will be better than me. Somewhere in the middle will do nicely.

Egg and spoon race?

20/05/2013 at 20:52

Good thing about 5ks? There are parkruns every Saturday. Fail one week and you can go again the next. You can constantly measure you're improvement. 5k is a going choice Joseph. Remind me what time you are going for?

20/05/2013 at 20:57
Now youre being silly Basically its got to be short enough to be easy, but not so short that people who can sprint will be better than me. Somewhere in the middle will do nicely.

You know, I don't want to undermine your efforts, but I suspect many 'people who can sprint' probably are better than you.

However, I do like the idea of us all getting to constantly judge you rather than wait months for one 'unlucky' marathon.

Pudge    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:58
Youve hit the nail on the head Sussex Runner. With a 5k, you can constantly enter races, constantly judge yourself. With a marathon, you might have one race every couple of months, and if you have an unlucky day, too bad ...... start all over again. PB is just over 22 minutes, but considering Im just getting my knee back in shape, Im probably around the 23 minute mark at the moment. Im aiming for a sub 20 minutes before the 31st December!

Unlucky day? Is that what you're putting it down To?

Bless you.

20/05/2013 at 21:00

Mayb we can have a 5k thread. Post our efforts each week. Post our goals.

20/05/2013 at 21:06

parkruns are a good shout.

Generally if you turn up wearing a proper running vest you feel like a big fish!

20/05/2013 at 21:12

Oh, I'm crap at 5ks. But I'm not the one claiming I'm going to get to sub 18 mins, or whatever it was.

20/05/2013 at 21:13

is it 2months ago again? where's Seren

Joseph, sub 20mins should be the minimuma  young handsome man like you should be aiming for.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
20/05/2013 at 21:18

you called........at least at park runs he will not be in the final 3 runners.........and we can all get to follow his results.

as they do not require much training for our young athlete then he should be able to get to 20 pretty quickly...

i don't think he would have the determination to get under 20 though....let alone 18.........

he would get to bored after a few weeks with this training marelarkey....and i don't know many parkruns that take place on atreadmill in a gym 

20/05/2013 at 21:18

Hello Jo 

If you are going to train properly this time then this article might give you some ideas

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/solving-5k-puzzle?page=single

20/05/2013 at 21:22

Ouch Seren, lacks determination

20/05/2013 at 21:29

I think Seren has a point. It isn't that you are "no good" at half marathons or marathons it is, by your own admission, that you can't be bothered with the training. Chances are you'll get just as bored trying to get a sub 20 5k.

Also, if you trained properly for a marathon you could probably knock something like two hours off your PB at the first attempt. Personally I'd find that more motivating than whittling away at the margins of a 5k time.

20/05/2013 at 21:33

The same issue but with running? Perhaps you are so fast that you are constantly moving on to the next race in your mind before you have got round to training for the current distance.

20/05/2013 at 21:38
You could all be right. I was reading a book about Einstein and they said he had a hard time focusing on one subject because he was so intelligent he was constantly moving on to the next thought in his mind because he was so sharp. Maybe I have the same issue here.

It is widely believed that Einstein was on the autistic spectrum......hence his brain working in a different way ..also is usually accompanied by a lack of social skills....and empathy

20/05/2013 at 21:40

Joseph, why have your last two threads disappeared?

20/05/2013 at 21:42

they are closing him down .maybe becuase his threads have that silly box attached to them.....

20/05/2013 at 22:06
Good luck with your goal, keep us up to date with your progress. My 5k time is similar to yours at the moment so very interested to see how much it can be improved.
20/05/2013 at 22:40

I thought you hated running outdoors when it's cold/wet etc? That means you probably only have until the end of September at the latest..

21/05/2013 at 11:13
My first goal is a 19.59 in a date ending in 2013

31st December 12013

...just to be on the safe side 

When are you running your first parkrun to see where you are at right now? (no sandbagging!)

Edited: 21/05/2013 at 11:14
1 to 20 of 363 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.