5k here I come

321 to 340 of 363 messages
28/05/2013 at 17:55

Do red vests make you faster too? I look better in red.

28/05/2013 at 18:00

Newark's probably a bit far for me, unless I can persuade someone else they want to do it and then cadge a lift. Also looks like you have to run up a flight of steps three times. Might save it for some parkrun tourism later on when I just want a nice morning out and not a PB.

28/05/2013 at 18:03

Only a short flight of steps. No worse than a short hill.

28/05/2013 at 18:05

I did race in a red t-shirt last week. It was the free 50 shirt.

28/05/2013 at 18:05

I think I'd rather run up a hill, though, because steps interrupt your stride.

For the record, that hill at Forest Rec is quite long though.

28/05/2013 at 18:08

steps in races always seem to be cunningly sized so that they fit in with noone's foot pattern

28/05/2013 at 18:09

I still haven't found a decent yellow vest online. Why are all women's sports clothes so shit?

28/05/2013 at 19:28

Can't make Newark this weekend, got another race. Will probably take a trip over there in a few weeks to see what it's like. 

29/05/2013 at 09:51
literatin wrote (see)

Well, no-one came that close in the sweepstake, but the winner was Skinny Fetish Fan with a prediction of 23:57, and the runner up was GingerG with 25:13.

Parkrun next week Joseph?

Just caught up with this thread.... Do we get prizes for first and second place guesses?!?!?!

29/05/2013 at 10:26

No prizes, Ginger, just the glory.

Bob, you still there? Will look out for you at the race tonight.

29/05/2013 at 10:28
literatin wrote (see)

No prizes, Ginger, just the glory.

I'll take that!

That's the closest I've come to winning something for a long time!

29/05/2013 at 11:12
literatin wrote (see)

Bob, you still there? Will look out for you at the race tonight.

Yep - still here - and likewise...before watching you disappear into the distance! Will probably be in an (only slightly less loud) orange shirt tonight.

I'm a regular lurker on Stevie's thread so picked up your current PB over there - you must be targeting first female tonight looking at last year's results? Hoping for something inside the top 50 here with around 34:30, though a reemergence of knackered knees might have something to say about that.

7.15pm start is it? Do you know what the tram works are like over there at the moment? Are they likely to have an impact getting down to Canal Side coming in from the University Boulevard end of town?

P.S. That chap at your club, Rab Acid. Best name in the history of man bar none! 

Edited: 29/05/2013 at 11:14
29/05/2013 at 11:18

No chance of 1st lady for me; based on last year's results maybe, based on this year's entry list definitely not, I'm afraid. I might manage top 3 if no-one else faster than me puts in a last-minute entry. My club have been winding me up with names of fast local runners they claim will be there.

I don't think the tram works should have a massive effect - it's mainly people coming from the other side that might have a problem, though getting along the Queen's Rd stretch might be a bit slow. Having said that, though, it'll be just after the post-work rush hour, so you should be okay.

29/05/2013 at 11:33

Ta. Good to know. Could have been a bit of a rush otherwise, particularly with number collection on the night and so on.

Shame for you there's some speedy types turning up - I did have a glance at the entry list, but I'm still too new to this game for most of the names to mean anything to me! 

29/05/2013 at 11:48

It's easier for women - I've not been racing locally for that long, but there aren't that many fast women in the area so you very quickly get used to seeing the same names (and the same club vests disappearing off into the distance). Whereas there are loads of blokes doing those times.

29/05/2013 at 19:34

Good luck to the 5 mile racers in Nottingham tonight. Hope the rain holds off for you. 

29/05/2013 at 19:47

cmon literatin

seren nos yn canu    pirate
29/05/2013 at 21:22

where are the race reports 

29/05/2013 at 22:37

Think literatin is probably down the pub! Nearly joined her and her clubmates (ta for the invite), but decided a decent feed was probably a better option than an ale or two on this occasion.

Tedious detail of my race over on the Middle Ground thread, but very pleased with a 34:07 (unoffical) which was about 40 seconds inside McMillan's prediction based on previous races, 23 seconds inside my main target and even bettering the stretch target by 13 seconds. Gerrin!

Will let the good lady herself fill in the details of her race, but she did grab a PB...and trounced me as expected. 

Good to meet you lit, and put a face to the name. 

29/05/2013 at 23:18

I am back from the pub. You should have come, Bob, they had sandwiches.

So, I did just about scrape a PB (though only my second 5 mile race anyway), but not an especially spectacular one: 32:12 and probably would have been a bit quicker except that it took me a while to find and settle into the right pace, so I accidentally did the first mile in 6 minutes. Oops. Bob, just read your report over on the other thread and the third mile was also the slowest for me though I managed to pick it up a bit later on.

Also, £25 for 2nd lady.  Spent most of it on gin, though.

321 to 340 of 363 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.