5k in 23:31 - but aged 10!

21 to 25 of 25 messages
20/06/2013 at 09:24
Oops I meant nephew. I was so shocked at how old the thread was I forgot the family relationship.
I hope the answer was option 1 but due to the lack of an update I'd guess option 2.
20/06/2013 at 10:52

All I know is that  the regularity with which junior "10 run" white T-shirts pass me in the last 50 metres of my parkrun,is getting beyond a joke!

21/06/2013 at 16:00

I remember running for my school in the first and second year, so being 13/14  and running around 5 min for the 1500m and there was a couple who were faster than me.

I was smaller than the others and a late developer so no matter how hard I pushed I just couldn't keep up with the one or two others that were good.

I ran longer distances cross country but I can't remember the times.

As an aside when I picked up running again recently at the age of 31 the first race I had was a 5K and when I pushed it the pain took me back to my school days and brought back to me the pain of running competively

Edited: 21/06/2013 at 16:01
21/06/2013 at 17:20

with the advent of parkruns, many younger kids now love running... my son (8) plays a lot of football, swimming and now loves parkruns... does them when we can and is already running just over 23mins.. and there are a number of others within a few mins of him.

I love seeing them all run together, going fast/slow etc... and he loves it..

Not sure how he'll progress, but i need to watch it... won't be too many years before his old man gets very concerned!

21/06/2013 at 23:20

Bah - it's not a level playing field, these young 'uns will be far lighter than the likes of us!  I bet they are lugging around at least 40Kg less than I do, no wonder they get such good times! 

Edited: 21/06/2013 at 23:21

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.