Do I have potential?

21 to 40 of 116 messages
02/08/2012 at 10:10

Did a 7min 2km run this morning on an incline and wasn't that exhausted at the end of it, really pleased.

Stevie - The Bolton parkrun, and yeh I can't remember his exact time but it was 49-50secs on a proper track, remember boxing training is just as hard as athletics training imo so yeh top 260 in the uk at the age of 22 is good for him. 

Nick - Thanks! Will for sure post my time here after my saturday run.

Doing hill reps for the first time tonight, then a rest tomorrow, wish me luck! 

02/08/2012 at 10:52

had a quick look at the Bolton page, quite surprised to see it's partly run on a track! That should guarantee it's a lot quicker than other park run courses, so you have the best chance really.

02/08/2012 at 11:53

Stevie - Yeh I love the track, so much easier than on the road going up and down the hills. I clock the 800m point once i come off the track in 2:30-35 but thats the adrenaline because I always set off slightly too fast I like being near the front(the guy who clocked 16:30 last week I was beating at 800m). I need to slow down. 

seren nos yn canu    pirate
02/08/2012 at 12:14

cardiff is one of the fastest.travel down there for a good tme

02/08/2012 at 12:32

Mike, people tend to find that a track can give them 15-30secs quicker than the road.

You need to pace yourself a lot better, as a 2.30ish 1/2mile and then finishing in high 18s is one massive slow down.

(and that's coming from me...someone who did a 5.24 first mile in my last 10miler ..average pace 5.50)

02/08/2012 at 14:01

I think Nick's advice is sound. Simply follow the fastest person there and then overtake them before the end of the race. No one can fail with such a clear recipe for success.  I do something similar with the skinny black guys in marathons - I try to edge in front of them in the first 200 metres and then I just hang on 'til the end. It can be a bit tiring but the gold medals make it so worthwhile.

02/08/2012 at 14:48
Hilarious, Tricky. The complete lack of understanding irony displayed by mike/Nick must be an elaborate joke on their part. Either that, or they have a split personality..double hmmm..
02/08/2012 at 15:17
Sorry Nick, it's your deadpan delivery
02/08/2012 at 15:56

So...Bolton Park Run Mike Rushton is the name to look out for.

I just lurve these threads.

02/08/2012 at 18:21
Like I say, deadpan!
02/08/2012 at 19:30

Fraser...he's changed his name now...but the pressure is slightly beyond what it should be.

ps i wish my local park run had sections on track, instead of dodgy gravelly mud which when wet is a write off.

(awaits certain people rocking on telling me what a fast course it is....you know who you are)

Edited: 02/08/2012 at 19:30
02/08/2012 at 19:48
Thanks for those additional strategic insights Nick. Just to summarise, I should just tuck in and conserve my energy running the first couple of hours at 20km/h pace, then utilising my natural fountain of youthful energy, kick from there on to the finish. Makes sense really as at 44 I'm not getting any younger although I do have some racing flats. Well, they were normal running shoes when I bought them 9 years ago, but they really are flat now.

I reckon as long as I do intervals once a week, shouldn't be a problem. Could even throw in a long run too if I want to be absolutely sure. Any other tips gratefully appreciated. Anything you can add Mike?
02/08/2012 at 20:23

My names Michael Rushton on the parkrun.

Tricky if your running marathons, you evidently have more experience and knowledge than me in running so I don't know what advice I can give.

Just ran my first hill reps session, legs are tired, having an ice bath to recover!  

02/08/2012 at 21:29
I can now verify that Nick has been taking the piss all along although no doubt he will counter otherwise. He plays a straight bat alright.
Good luck Saturday, Mike. For all the jesting, I hope you attain your goals and if not you are sure to be a good runner whatever.
02/08/2012 at 22:20
Mmm, stuff to reflect on here. Thanks Mike and thanks too Nick. I've had many people comment on my youthfulness, although that was about 26 years ago. However, I feel really motivated to train hard now as Rio is only 4 years away and I should use the fountain whilst I've still got it.

Good luck on Saturday Mike. Sub-17 this week and who knows what the following week could bring. Go for it fella!!
03/08/2012 at 07:46

Thanks for the support!

Tricky - I hope you don't mean me getting sub 17 this week, off a 18:48 last week, and this weeks route being harder? 

I will stay on the tail of first place and try to stay with him/her, will be tough though, some of these guys have been running for years and I don't have the legs they do yet.

03/08/2012 at 08:41

I wouldn't waiver in your self belief Mike. 18:48 after 4 weeks training of 15mpw, not sure what can hold you back. OK, maybe sub-17 will be hard this week, but maybe by the week after you can do it? A young wolf like you should be able to tear up all those old dogs, worn down by the tens of thousands of training miles they have already run.

Mind you, I've noticed in all those interviews with the elite sportsmen and women on the tv at the moment, they do seem to work extremely hard and have been doing it for a while. In fact, I hardly ever hear them saying that they combine their main sport with something else. They seem so single-minded and focused.

Anyway,  with the footie season just round the corner Mike, I'm sure that extra training will help lift you even further. Do you think you can be in to the low 16 minutes by mid September? Cheers, good luck tmrw.

03/08/2012 at 11:22

If I can avoid injury and progress in my training I think in 2 months I can break my parkrun record. 

Mid september is a bit too soon i think. 

03/08/2012 at 12:29

Mike, 90% of this thread is silly nonsense, so let's get real here.

If you break 16:06 on a measured licensed 5k road race/park run before October 6th (the saturday) I will personally drive to your house and kiss your feet.

Unless that 18.48 effort was run with a cigar on, or involved a quick sit on a bench reading the paper there's no chance pal. However, it is guaranteed you can take that 18:48 down hugely over time.

This game is about consistent and long term training, you do yourself no favours setting silly unattainable short term targets.

Edited: 03/08/2012 at 12:32
03/08/2012 at 13:22
Stevie G . wrote (see)

If you break 16:06 on a measured licensed 5k road race/park run before October 6th (the saturday) I will personally drive to your house and kiss your feet.

You may want to give it a couple of hours after he's run 16:06 before kissing his feet.

21 to 40 of 116 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.