9 miler

8 messages
20/12/2008 at 10:15

Hi all, after much debate on my behalf, i decided to up my mileage this morning and have just come back from a 9 miler, i ran out of water after 6.5 miles and was overheating , nonetheless i decided to press on and completed my task in 1hr 27mins. Please, please take on lots of water, unlike me i only had 80ml or so in my bottle, and had that tell tale white slime around my lips, felt fine, breathing excellent, but very fatigued, i have only be running 2 miles a day with a break on weds only, think its walking 16 miles a week as well that has enabled me to up my mileage.

Grahame

Richard 123    pirate
20/12/2008 at 14:38
I wouldn't generally take water on a 9 miler particularly this time of year. I suspect the (dramatic) increase in your mileage may well have something to do with your problems.
mudman    pirate
20/12/2008 at 14:53
Depending on the weather, I wouldn't need water for less than a HM distance. But each to their own
Going from 2 miles to 9 miles isn't normally recommended....
20/12/2008 at 16:24
Agree with both posts above especially MM's comment on the jump from 2 to 9 miles!  That can lead you into injury territory GMc!  Hopefully, no damage done though .  On your hydration strategy I also agree with the above - I generally don't need water unless I go over half M distance (though I usually carry some if its 10 miles +) - make sure you're really well hydrated before you set out and you should notice a difference.  Hope you're planning a rest day tomorrow!!
20/12/2008 at 18:54
Ran out of water after 6.5 miles? are you kidding?
20/12/2008 at 19:53
Richard 123 wrote (see)
I wouldn't generally take water on a 9 miler particularly this time of year. I suspect the (dramatic) increase in your mileage may well have something to do with your problems.

Think Richard 123 is right. Also, as you increase your mileage on a regular basis your hydration management will adapt, at the moment its based on 2 mile runs which won't require much, while running longer distances will require more hydration pre-run.

Well done though on completing the run.

20/12/2008 at 21:48

Thanks for the advice, its greatly appreciated

G

20/12/2008 at 21:52
Another vote for water not being the issue, it was the increase in mileage.  Impressed you completed your run but going from 2 to 9 miles is pretty close to going from 0 to 9 miles.  You may pay for it over the next few days so take it easy.  Far better to have increased your normal distance incrementally but at least you know that 9 miles is a doddle and not far at all.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.