A lurker's first post

4 messages
21/08/2012 at 09:46

Hi all,

I've been lurking on here for a while, so I thought I'd post a first message to say hi!

I've been running since about 2005 and have completed a few halfs and 10K's, and just the one marathon (London, in 2010 which was great but a real struggle!).  I'm definitely more of a recreational runner (i.e., I think that if I run more and maintain a reasonable weight, I can then eat more!  I know that isn't the right attitude), but I am always looking to try improve, especially my half time.  My PB at that distance is 1hr55min, but I'm trying to get down to 1hr45min, so we'll see how that goes.

I have a 10k on the weekend.  Current PB is just under 51mins, and I'm hoping to get under 50mins but we'll see.  The training was going well, but a holiday got in the way of the training   I'm back to it now, but I'm surprised what fitness I seem to have lost after only 2 weeks off.

I do enter the London Marathon every year, but am never particularly disappointed when I don't get a place  

I'm not a member of a running club, but I always seem to be umming and ahhing about joining my local one, but never actually do.  I'm also more of a "fair weather" runner, and have been known to "chicken out" of a training run and nip to the gym instead!

My main concern is always the health of my back.  I did it about 18 months ago and don't want to go through that again, so I always try and warm up and down properly and try and do plenty of stretching too.

Anyway, that's about it. 

Cheers,

G

21/08/2012 at 09:52

Welcome!

21/08/2012 at 10:23

Hi Big_G! I like your attitude to running - sounds to me like you enjoy it! I'm pretty similar, I like to see improvements but not entirely at the expense of enjoying the rest of my life! Likewise I don't see me ever being at the front of a race but it's more fun in the middle, don't you think?

21/08/2012 at 12:53

Dancing in spikes - thanks!

Hi Peter.  Yes, running along in the middle is fine for me and I recognise I'm not going to be a front runner.  I do remember my first half that was run on a fully traffic free course.  I think there were about 2000 runners and I was roughly in the middle somewhere.  Because it was traffic free, I could hear all the other runners around me (their footfall, breathing, a couple of people chatting etc) in the otherwise quiet surroundings.  For some reason that has stuck with me, and I enjoy that "environment" even now, particularly on a traffic free course where there are no other normal traffic noises.

I've seen the London marathon a couple of times, and went to see the Olympic women's marathon and Olympic men's triathlon and the elite runners are always awe-inspiring to me.  The way they just look so effortless, their action, speed etc etc are always great to see.

I also find that occasionally going out without the Garmin and just running for enjoyment, and not being worried about time etc really helps me.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.