Abuse when running!

1 to 20 of 55 messages
22/08/2013 at 14:28

I was running in London after work one night last week doing the normal 7.5m route starting along the South bank, Generally running past hundreds of walkers/ holiday makers etc etc no problems at all... until i came up behind one guy ran past no worries no where near him to suddenly hear him shouting abuse at me saying mind theres people walking along here (not quite so politely) bearing in mind i was literlly no where near him, I could understand if id brushed past him .. anyway i turn around again to see him trying to run after me so i carried on and just said to myself if you ran abit maybe you wouldnt be not far off 20stone!! Needless to say he didnt try catching me for long  

Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

22/08/2013 at 15:08

Yes. It often happens to runners.

The lardy and the chavvy apparently find us an enormous threat.

22/08/2013 at 15:15

I find it's worse in the late evenings than at any other time.  I don't often run late but on the rare occasion when I'm out at say 10pm I often get abuse.  It can range from the hilariously funny "Run, Forrest, run" or "Run, fat boy, run" to the not so hilarious issue of people throwing things at me from fast moving cars (I've had coke cans and an egg thrown at me in the past).  I used to retaliate but I don't bother now; I find ignoring the chavs is the best policy.

22/08/2013 at 15:29

Had a bottle of water thrown at me from a car only the weekend before last.  +1 for trying to ignore them.

WiB
22/08/2013 at 15:29

Those fatties aren't as jolly as they are made out to be!

WiB
22/08/2013 at 15:55

Had that sort of issue once from a bunch of young lads. I stopped walked towards them and eye balled the lad who shouted w@nker asked him to repeat what he said. silence then I told him that I remember my first beer as well. His mates laughed which helped but I would have had no issues in going toe to toe with the punk! They must think most runners are of slim build where as I fit more in to the ex army 14st rugby player.

I wouldn't recommend the above action, I wasn't hacing the best day and the chump made me ruin and stop and possible PB run. In hind sight if that happend again now I would have just carried on.

22/08/2013 at 16:16

Kritter exactly the reason i didnt stop .. losing time haha! I very nearly did just turn around and chase him back but I just could not be bothered with the little fatty!!

22/08/2013 at 16:19

Only once - someone made as if to trip me up (I was going at a fair old lick for a change), which had the effect of making me stumble to try to avoid him. He got a few names hurled in his direction, but discretion was the better part of valour so I ran on...

22/08/2013 at 17:08

A couple of years ago i ran up this street past some young lads and they shouted the normal run forest stuff.......I ignored them!

Any way 3-4 mile later i run down the same street and i get pelted with fur cones....little buggers were hiding behind the bushes!!!!!

Apart from that, nothing...touch wood!

22/08/2013 at 17:32

at least fur cones are soft.

22/08/2013 at 17:34

luckily, I can run mostly over hilly heathland so the chavvy and the lardy don't go there!

22/08/2013 at 18:10

I've only had things shouted out car windows a couple times in the last 5 years, mostly don't even hear what was said so just ignore.  Luckily never had anything thrown at me.  Have had a couple funny friendly remarks such as "I wish I had that kind of energy" and as I run with my dog on a hands free lead and she always takes the lead "hey that's cheating" 

22/08/2013 at 20:07
I tend to just snap the necks and throw them in the nearest river. It's the humane solution.
22/08/2013 at 20:08

If you run along the Southbank then you are likely to be running among 100s of people in a capital city. A bit like people who run on the main promenade in Brighton. You are better off running somewhere quieter and with far less people. If you run amongst the many then don't be too surprised if you encounter the odd arsehole. 

22/08/2013 at 21:10

This is why I like my headphones on and music playing, I can't make out any possible insults 

22/08/2013 at 21:18

Yes - had stones thrown at me and and rude comments as I passed.  Luckily now I'm so slow people don't realise I'm meant to be running - they just think I have a rather unfortunate walking gait.

22/08/2013 at 21:59

I had a youngster (early teens) who thought it was funny to shout and wave at me during my run earlier so I just stopped and said what?? Your mum?? Really?? Your mum??? 

It wasn't big or clever but his face turned grey and his mate nearly pissed himself. Maybe his mate has the same mental age as me

I don't tend to get much actual hassle- but I'm a grumpy and ugly looking old git and I reckon that helps. A lot. Lol

22/08/2013 at 22:25

I had someone offer me a crispy creme doughnut when running along the south bank one afternoon.  Nearly accepted. 

23/08/2013 at 08:48

I was once offered a can of (full sugar) coke by some chavvy school girls eating fish and chips at lunch time.

Girl: You look thirsty - here do you want this can?

Me: Not really.

Girl (in pursuit up street): Here, go on (pause) I'll sell it to you for a quid!!!

Me (slowing down): You want a pound for a can of coke you got free in a meal deal????? FFS I can go to the shops and buy one myself for less.

Girl: Go On then.

Me: Thanks, can I get on with my run now !!!

Very strange behaviour, but gotta admire the opportunist capitalism I suppose .

WiB
23/08/2013 at 08:56

kaffeeg wrote (see)

I had someone offer me a crispy creme doughnut when running along the south bank one afternoon.  Nearly accepted. 

That's not abuse! That's great.

WiB
1 to 20 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.