aching shoulders/neck

8 messages
14/12/2006 at 23:05
I find I have aching shoulders and neck after roughly an hour of running. I think the main reason for this may be because I tend to swing my upper body side to side as I run. Has anyone any tips for reducing the swing?? I do try and keep my arms still and not to hold them too high. Would weight training help? ie strengthen my shoulder muscles??
15/12/2006 at 11:05
Hi Amanda,

do you clench your fists when you run?

Jon
15/12/2006 at 11:19
And if you are trying to hold your arms still you may be causing too much tension in your shoulders as well.
15/12/2006 at 14:10
No I don't clench my fists, but I may not be very relaxed in my arms and that tension could go through to shoulders. Thanks.
15/12/2006 at 14:32
Pilates would probably help more than weight training. Gives you a strong core and also helps with posture.
15/12/2006 at 16:30
Maybe try altering your running style a bit to reduce excessive lateral movements. As you run, periodically shake your arms and shrug the shoulders to loosen any tension. Moving the head from side to side (taking ear towards shoulder) helps too.

Weights will help to strengthen the upper body. Do military presses, lateral raises and upright rows using dumbbells for the shoulder area. For back strength, do rows and the lat pull down machine.

Agree about core strength - also never underestimate the value of full press-ups for strength. Learn how to do them and you'll never have a weak upper bod again!
15/12/2006 at 16:34
Not being funny, but does your sports bra fit? If you are a bit on the busty side and running without proper support it is quite possible to get upper thoracic/ neck pain from your posture. Sorry to be so personal!!
15/12/2006 at 20:31
Thanks Jingli!! I'm not busty! I'll try all the ideas given. Thanks very much.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.