Advice and knowledge welcome

3 messages
06/07/2012 at 19:26

Hi all,

I thought I would try to gleen advice, experience and knowledge from the runnersworld forum.

I'm a cyclist and have been for about 16 years on and off.

I started running 3 weeks ago and really enjoy it, due to its low cost, accessability and its ease of getting a workout in around shifts.

So far I have been doing short tempo runs 2-3 miles, and longer 5 mile runs. My aim potentially of running a half marathon at the end of September.

I have never run a race before, but am capable of pushing myself in training, as I do in cycling.

I want to achieve a 1:40:00 half marathon is this feasible?

Current stats:

2 miles 12:59

5km 20:33

5 miles 35:12

This isn't pan flat, its undulating and the both the 5k and 5M are on fire road.

Any suggested weekly schedule would be a huge benefit, as at the moment I just go out and run, but I have no structure.

Looking forward to your hints and tips.

06/07/2012 at 22:54
The training section on this site has plans for various distances, including half marathons, also try Smart Coach. You already have plenty of speed for a 1:40 half. You need to develop the endurance side which the plans will take you through. I used the Garmin Ready sub 1:40 for my first half marathon. One of the key things you will be doing is running longer and slower. You do not need to be running fast in all sessions - the plan will set specific paces for each type of run
06/07/2012 at 23:59

If you're doing those sort of times in training on undulating courses, then you should have no problem doing a sub-1.40 half marathon.  If you gear your training specifically towards it, you'd probably knock the best part of 10 minutes off that.  People always go faster in races than training.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could do a sub 40 10k and maybe even a sub-19 5k race.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.