Advice needed - insoles for running

7 messages
11/02/2012 at 15:22
Hi everyone

I have been off running for 2 months due to a knee injury. I visited a podiatrist who said I have flat feet and while we discussed insoles for everday use, we didn't for trainers. Do I need insoles if I have a pair of Asics Cumulus 13? - Do I need extra support for my arch as I do for everday use? (I am a neutral runner)

I am slowly doing the odd mile here and there and going to build it up.

Any advice would be appreciated and any recommendations?

Thanks
11/02/2012 at 19:01
I would suggest you'd be best discussing it with the same podiatrist. He's examined you and obviously has reached a diagnosis, but we don't know exactly what that diagnosis is.
11/02/2012 at 19:31
Get orthotics. I have them now and make a huge difference.

My Asics Cumulus 13's were barely used since I bought them as they offered no support for movement, just cushioning. Now I think they'll be great with my Orthotics. Wearing the shoes in now - will be on a long run with them tomorrow.

Get the orthotics right and the knee issue will all but disappear - it's usually a biomechanical issue.

AND YOU MUST STRETCH REGULARLY - running specific stretches, at different times from running.

Brian.
11/02/2012 at 19:34
And I should say, I also have low arches/flat feet and, due to that, you are almost certainly going to be an overpronator (unless you have really strong feet and ankles) - not a neutral runner, no matter where you land on your foot - it's your ankle role etc. I used to believe I was neutral due to my shoe wear etc - I was wrong.

If you overpronate, the Cumulus (without orthotics) are the wrong shoe by far - the are for an underpronator to Neutral with little structural support.

A good podiatrist would be able to give you a decent diagnosis of your biomechanics - if you have not got that, I'd recommend you find another one.
12/02/2012 at 18:15
Thank you for the comments. I find it a bit of a mine field! I was prescribed neutral trainers (no support) and got on well with them last year. When I had worn them out I was prescribed overpronating trainers and I found they really contributed to my injury, so went back and was prescribed neutral again. I am hoping Cumulus with orthotics will help....
12/02/2012 at 20:09
Run a half marathon in Cumulus 13's with orthotics today - no problems at all. I am an overpronator, with a different level of pronation in both legs!

Brian.
18/03/2013 at 12:10

What are the real benifits between using them running insoles and regular insoles? do they have different materials or something?

Edited: 19/03/2013 at 10:53

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.