After how many miles do you change your Trainers ?

21 to 32 of 32 messages
16/11/2012 at 16:22

Agree on the Wave Riders. I log miles these days, and 500-600 range is always where I decdie it's time to move on. Normally more in the 530-550 domain.

And that's with alternating between 2 pairs on the go.

16/11/2012 at 16:49

Guys i'm due to get a new pair soon, Up and Running give you a free gait analysis if you buy from them. They probably charge a bit more i think.

Is getting an analysis the right thing to do ? yes i think.. 

16/11/2012 at 16:53
Stevie G . wrote (see)
Peter Collins wrote (see)

300 is the oft-repeated limit. That might be too soon for some, too late

300!! You must be a shoe manufacturer's dream!!

I said 'oft-repeated'. Doesn't mean I agree with it.

16/11/2012 at 22:30

Until they begin to feel like they need replacing!  I did about 1000 miles in my last pair, but they were falling to bits by the time I replaced them - the difference between the old and the replacement shoes was shocking.  I'd guess that the current pair have done about 250, and they're still going strong.

I don't know why, but I go through normal shoes within a month or so, but running shoes last me for ages and ages.  Maybe I just don't wear through good running shoes because I'm fairly light, whereas I walk several miles each day and my everyday shoes just aren't made to cope with that.

17/11/2012 at 10:36

Mine are on 540 miles, doing 2 today, then 26.2 tomorrow, so if do crap ('per than normal) I can blame it on my shoes and not that i've put on 5lbs in the last week by eating so much crap!

17/11/2012 at 10:59
Ha ha Lardarse- sounds like I could have written that myself, a few extra pounds, a few nights out and Grizedale in the morning, I certainly won't shoes as my excuse!
17/11/2012 at 16:03
I wore my old pair for about 700-800 miles. Wasn't getting problems but they were starting to feel worn down. Plus the uppers had holes.
17/11/2012 at 20:03

I didn't bother doing the 2 miles today, so my shoes will be fine!

17/11/2012 at 20:09

Good luck for tomorrow Lardarse which mara is it ?

18/11/2012 at 05:21

Thank you! Luton, good luck everyone doing it, and all other raaces today

21/11/2012 at 06:45

I must be wierd in that I have never noticed a pair of shoes getting too old and causing me any niggles or injuries. I just use them until they start falling apart. I think that, through a total fluke, I have a decent running gait as I very rarely suffer from any running related injuries or anything like that. I use minimalist shoes now so I suppose the sole wearing away doesn't really matter, and there's no cushioning to compress. My Merrells have an amazingly tough sole - it just doesn't seem to wear!

21/11/2012 at 10:30

I wait until my toes are poking throught the uppers!

500 miles is a strange one to me. Most runners have the same cadence, so if we take 2 runners doings 500 miles, one at 12 min miles and one at 6 min miles, the faster runner will have taken half as many steps and theoretically their shoes will be fresher!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.