Alcohol

1 to 20 of 31 messages
26/08/2009 at 19:00

I usually don't drink any alcohol 4 weeks before a race.  However I have 2 weddings one week before a 10K race.  Do you think it actually makes that much of a difference?

Thanks

26/08/2009 at 19:06

only makes 5 minutes difference to me between running whilst hungover and running a pb

26/08/2009 at 19:32
i think you will be ok as long as you dont drink for 2 days before
26/08/2009 at 19:35
FM you are spot on mate
26/08/2009 at 19:44

hi BB

i seen the word alcohol and i was in at speed

26/08/2009 at 19:58
I ran my half marathon pb the morning after an evening out at the local pizza house and consuming more red wine than was good for me. But maybe I'm just weird.
26/08/2009 at 20:30
All my pb's have been preceded by mild refreshment the night before and at FLM by substantial. Will never know what might have happened, but if the training has been done, your not an international and apply common sense, I think you should be okay
26/08/2009 at 21:14
I look forward to a cold can of lager after a long run.Evreything in moderation I reckon.
26/08/2009 at 22:01

it doesnt make too much difference-in moderation-actually some of my post binge running exploits

would make your hair curl.

Think positive,with your running skills you'll be first at the bar and everybodies freind at last orders 

Double 0    pirate
26/08/2009 at 22:06
A hangover only slows me down by a minute. If your going for a pb don't go over the top. I had a beer the night before my first tri and I was ok.
26/08/2009 at 22:31

Many moons ago , i ran my first half marathon after helping my mate demolish a barrell of home brew

the night before the race(and they reckon binge drinking is a new thing). Nowdays, I've run ten marathons and had a couple of pints of guiness the night before all of them.

A rule of thumb is the same as the police breathalizer, it takers an hour for the alcohol in half a pint of

average beer too leave the system. However,alcohol is a dieretic,so drink more water to retain maximum hydration

27/08/2009 at 08:33
I guess it depends on how seriously you take things.  I'm willing to bet Paula, Liz and Mara didn't go out for a "girls night out" in Bejing but I'm equally willing to bet that letting your hair down at a wedding in the weeks before a race isn't going to make the slightest difference to the likes of us.
seren nos yn canu    pirate
27/08/2009 at 08:36
I think the alcohol will be out of your system in a week............just relax and enjoy
27/08/2009 at 08:51

'If your going for a pb don't go over the top.'

If you're going for a p-b, don't go to the p-u-b.

27/08/2009 at 09:14
I've drunk beer in an Ironman event during the marathon - not far from the finish some supporters had set up a drinks station with beer, wine etc.......it just had to be done. I got a PB as well.....

tbh - if alcohol is part of your lifestyle I doubt very much it will affect your performance - just moderate the amount you drink before the race. I've never raced without having a drink the night before
27/08/2009 at 09:28

IMO having a few drinks a whole week before the race won't make a jot of difference even if you're sub-elite.  Any physical effects in terms of dehydration, etc will have completely gone in that time.

I don't know the drinking habits of elite athletes (are they all teetotal? Bet they're not) but from knowing a few club runners up to a very good level, moderate alcohol consumption seems to be the norm and I don't know many people who abstain completely for extended periods of time before a big race.  As long as it doesn't hinder your training and the overall volume isn't huge (there are 'empty' calories in alcohol after all) I really can't see the problem.

27/08/2009 at 09:34

I think it depends on your definition of "having a drink".

If you mean a couple of beers, or glasses of wine, then it won't make any difference at all.

If you mean getting totally wasted, then it might.

I got a 10k pb last year in an afternoon race, following a lunch of moules and frites, and half a bottle of rose  

27/08/2009 at 09:37
and I suspect Wilkie, that you, me and a few other forumites might have a little drinkie or 12 DURING an upcoming marathon........

[hic..]
27/08/2009 at 10:00

I am not an elite athlete ergo drinking will not effect my performance by having a drink or two the night before an event

whose round is it?

27/08/2009 at 11:02

Oh dear me yes, FB   Be rude not to!

It's getting very close!  Are you taking your motorhome?

1 to 20 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.