Am I ill or did I overdo it?

6 messages
30/03/2009 at 11:29

Yesterday I did a 10k and got a pb (53 mins) which I am overjoyed about, I have been running for a few years now on and off but since the beginning of the year have started upping my mileage gradually building towards my first half at the end of April, I did this 10k just as an interim race as I haven't done a race since last year.

I have been runnng 30-40 miles per week with no issues, my long run being 10-13 miles now and 2 or 4 other runs of 5-8 miles (easy recoveries/tempo or steady runs, occasional intervals), no problems.

However, this race yesterday has really taken it out of me, either that or I have come down with something, sat night I felt a bit 'off it' but was fine yesterday morning and ran a good strong race. Afterwards I was tired and weary but not exhausted but as the day wore on I felt more and more sickly and downright lousy.

Today I have got up and feel totally crap, I didn't sleep well again feeling sickly, I have a massive headache and feel 'fluey', I have no appetite and I'm not sure whether I am just ill or whether perhaps I did push myself too hard in the race (as all my family seem to think!)

I run 10k in around 58 mins in training and never feel like this so I am thinking it is just coincidence and I am ill. I wanted to go for an easy run today but really can't face it because of how I feel.

What concerns me is if it is the race that's caused this, what on earth am I going to be like after the half? I have never felt like this after a race before (but I have never run a 10k that fast before) 

30/03/2009 at 11:42

Hows your heart rate today compared to a "normal" day?

Not only can it show if you are ill, you can also see if you have over trained / over exerted yourself.

Lots of bugs flying around ATM, plus it was pretty cold yesterday, so you could have been a bit run down and picked something up, either that or your body is telling you you have overdone it, and it needs a bit of a rest.

30/03/2009 at 11:44
Its up a bit actually, nomally my RHR is around 49bpm and it was definitely over 60 first thing this morning
30/03/2009 at 11:57

I am no doctor, far from it, but that might point to an illness, might be an idea to cut back on the training till you feel better.

Have a read of this > http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/overtraining/a/aa062499a.htm

30/03/2009 at 11:59
you're not dehydrated are you? 
30/03/2009 at 12:17

We have a Sicky bug sweeping through Cambridgeshire???

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.