Am I Way Below Average?

21 to 40 of 45 messages
25/12/2012 at 00:36

Time is a funny thing. sometimes over the years I would think that if only I could shave a minute off my 5k time that would be great and 2 minutes off would be out of this world. Truth is that if I had shaved 2 minutes off then I would then be thinking, if only I could shave a minute off my time then ....... There are people out there who are maybe running 8 minutes quicker for a 5k than yourself who worry constantly about how they would like to be faster and there are also people out there who are running 8 minutes slower who are over the moon with how fast they now are.

Your time are good.

25/12/2012 at 08:04

I get grief all the time as I am apparently 'always' out running. I just tell her how many hours a week I do, which averages less than a hour a day. And then not long after she starts saying I am always out running again.... A bit tiresome.... But keep at it, don't over do it; but I would say look around for an interesting race to enter in the spring or summer. It is a great buzz and keeps the motivation up

25/12/2012 at 11:29

Am definitely looking for a race to enter next year.  I feel ready now.  Have been looking on the race finder on here but can't seem to find anything local at the moment, unless I am doing something wrong.

ETA - yep, must have been doing something wrong because just been on the event search again and found one I like.  The Runner's World Trailblazer!  Just got to pluck up the courage to go for it now.  I know for definite that I can cover the distance, just got to sort the nerves out about actually attending and taking part in a race.

Edited: 25/12/2012 at 11:44
25/12/2012 at 16:54

In my experience the nerves are the thing....  I have been racing more years than I care to admit. Despite this my pulse was at 110 beats per min as I got out of the car for my last race. A 10 mile fancy dress cross country... When I do not get nervous I will pack it in! Do not worry where you come; do it, learn from it, move on....

25/12/2012 at 17:05
Gee! Your times are more than fine for races. As a previous poster says you'll be mid pack, not that that is too important. Get in there and go for it. You'll be a bit nervous the first time but will be on a real high once you've done it and just want to do more. Hope your old man comes good, probably just dented his pride. Good luck with it all and keep on running.
CRB
26/12/2012 at 16:13

Hi,

I started running 4 years ago and completed my 1st half marathon 3 years ago in 2hr.30 plus, not really improving but pleased to be fit and injury free, (10 years older than you). Competed in a 10km race this moring, finishing in slow 1hr 11mins, but this was 3 mins faster than last years event so happy with that, my hubby is quietly proud but hides it well

27/12/2012 at 21:24
The nerves add to the excitement of the races I'm reasonably new round the running scene in comparison to many on here, Ive ran for about a year now but I've only ran in 3 'organised race's' 1 of which was the Great North Run and the nerves are huge. I mean I knew I was never going to be challenging to win any of these races and I also knew I wouldn't finish last, but I guess I was just nervous to try and achieve a good time!

I would definitely encourage you to start running in races (your partner) could even tag along and support you. As for finding local races you would be best getting involved in your local running club they will tell u about loads!
29/12/2012 at 20:51

Craig, funny you should mention nerves...in my early racing days I didn't think anything of races, easy night's sleep, no nerves at all. I remember awaiting the start of one of the hardest half marathons in the south one year, hands in pockets yawning, thinking this'll be fine.

Now, the adrenaline kicks in the night before, and doesn't go until the gun starts the race!

29/12/2012 at 23:09
Fear of failure? You chose to run the race. Nothing happens if you walk or drop out. But the fear is there...

It's odd.

The more races I do the worse it gets.
29/12/2012 at 23:56

your times are perfectly respectable. i am also impressed at your restraint in not  punching your husband.

parkruns are races, in my view. so you are a racer now.

speedwork, fartlek, hills, long slow runs, high tempo runs. these are all good....the key is to keep your body guessing. mix it up.

well done

30/12/2012 at 11:41

Your times are fab! Sounds to me like you've done really well! Why do you run just out of interest - what's your motivation?

I'd have a chat with the hubby, sounds to me like he'd be happier if you were sat watching eastenders getting fat eating crisps instead.. I agree with the dude and admire your restraint thus far! Time for a chat methinks...before you get sold to Ukrainian gansters that Nick knows...

30/12/2012 at 12:05
As my best 5k time is 49.03 after 6months (and yes that is all 'running' no walking)I would love to have your times. I get very down about how slow I am as people walking in wellies and pensioners overtake me on a regular basis. My husband is the one telling me not to be so hard on myself and keep going. My first 10k in may hoping for under 1hr 30mins but that may be optimistic!
31/12/2012 at 11:48

Iluvstafies - Your 5K and 10K PB times are roughly the same as mine    I think we should be proud of ourselves

Edited: 31/12/2012 at 11:48
31/12/2012 at 12:26

Iluvstuffing- your times are not below average, they are great. The main thing is you're out there doing it. Just enjoy yourself and also a target of a planned race will help. And think - you can get your hubby to be in charge of race day drop off, kit and pick up afterwards - he'll love the involvement. In fact he could also be on the look out for any potential Ukrainian gangsters!

31/12/2012 at 12:50

Iluvstaffies - when I started running regularly about 6 months ago my missus was always giving me grief. I think she was jealous that I was doing something to lose my weight but she couldnt find any motivation to do it for herself. She would give me little digs and tell me I was wasting my time etc. Then, after about 3 months of that, I basically told her in no uncertain terms that I was doing it for me not for her. If she wasnt prepared to support me then I told her not to say anything about it at all. After a short time she realised that I meant it and the comments stopped. I wouldnt say she is totally supportive now but we dont have any arguments about my running and she sees that I am doing as a hobby and enjoy it a lot. One of the big factors for me was her knowing exactly when I would be going out running so we could plan to do other things together. When you start going for a run at the time you say you are then your other half will see you mean business.

As runningforchocloate says, it's probably time for a chat..be strong and good luck

31/12/2012 at 16:21

Congrats on your times (and on getting off the couch )  Don't let your husband get you down, it sounds like you're doing really well!

31/12/2012 at 17:25

you are doing brill.. I am with a running club and have been running 1.5 years again ( aged 43)  and done a marathon recently but still not quite at your speeds..my husband also runs and is fast but him and everyone from my club supports and praises everyone and it does not matter what speed you run at the main thing is that you run and enjoy it!

01/01/2013 at 09:44
Debbie is right the support you get from'Stranger's' when you are running with them at club nights is unreal, brilliant atmosphere! I'll not forget my first club night run I went out with one of the faster groups so came in after alot had finished yet they were all there waiting for each other to shake hands and say "Well ran" straight away I knew I would be back the week after and wished I hadn't been shy in joining much sooner. I guess I was expecting everyone to be superstar athletes but the truth of it is plenty do it for a bit of fitness and a social catch up! You should definitely look into joining one you would be very surprised how your time would stack up against the others and they would improve rapidly!
02/01/2013 at 17:11

Your times are very respectable. I'm a data-geek myself, so I love keeping track of my times/heart-rate over various distances to see how I'm improving.

I only started running seriously 6 months ago, and the one thing that had the biggest impact on my times was to spend a couple of months of disciplined training at a low heart rate. By disciplined I mean resisting the urge to speed up and end the run all out of breath and sweaty. It felt wrong, and I couldn't believe it would have much benefit, but it did. After that I mixed it up, but I always try to keep one long slow run each week to build the aerobic endurance.

03/01/2013 at 12:21

As others have said, tell your prick of a husband to come and show you how much faster than you he is over 5k this weekend.

Once he begins to fall out his arse around the 2k mark tell him you'll see him back at home and try not to have a stroke before you get back.

21 to 40 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.