Am I Way Below Average?

41 to 46 of 46 messages
03/01/2013 at 12:21

As others have said, tell your prick of a husband to come and show you how much faster than you he is over 5k this weekend.

Once he begins to fall out his arse around the 2k mark tell him you'll see him back at home and try not to have a stroke before you get back.

UFO
03/01/2013 at 13:49
Listen to marathon talk.com episode 122 to put it all in perspective.
Times don't matter. Your hubbie is probably using reverse psychology to encourage you.
UFO
03/01/2013 at 19:09
Runningforchocolate wrote (see)

Your times are fab! Sounds to me like you've done really well! Why do you run just out of interest - what's your motivation?

I'd have a chat with the hubby, sounds to me like he'd be happier if you were sat watching eastenders getting fat eating crisps instead.. I agree with the dude and admire your restraint thus far! Time for a chat methinks...before you get sold to Ukrainian gansters that Nick knows...

Hi there, my motivation is fitness and that I find exercise a great stress reliever.  I joined a gym initially back in February of last year but I like to have a goal whenever I take up something and decided it would be to be able to run 5k.  Then I just got hooked and want to go further and further lol.

Thanks for all the encouragement on here, it does wonders for my motivation.  Am still attending the Parkruns every Saturday, determined to get that sub 25! lol.

I would love to join a running club but need to pluck up the courage to do so!

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 19:11
03/01/2013 at 20:46

I've been running for about a year and dream of getting under 60 mins for 10k. PB 77 mins so far - aiming for under 70 as a first step.

I've run in 4 races so far and loved 3 of them. The last one was 10 miles - the longest I've ever run, and I came second to last, but it was such a great atmosphere I really didn't care. Chose carefully, and the race will be fun. I'm sure people will give suggestions if you say where you are based.

The other thing which helped me is my jogging group. Not a serious running clubwith structured training, but a Run England organised thing. But it sounds like the park run might serve the same purpose as this for you.

I've started to add temp and speed session in, as the variety stops me getting bored. I have come up with a training plan using the smart coach, but use this as a guide. For example last week I was by the sea where there was a jetty out with amazing views and few people on it. So I ran intervals on it - sprinting out and running back. I've also started to go to the local track which I find suprisingly enjoyable. This works well when running with my partner, who is faster than me, as he can just do more intervals.

I'm not sure what to add to the comments about your husband's attitude. It is probably worth chatting to him and finding out where the comments are coming from. He might not realise he's hurting you, or he might be wishing he had a similar hobby himself.

04/01/2013 at 10:44
Iluvstaffies pluck up that courage up to join I certainly wish I'd have joined sooner! And that sub25 will soon be very achievable for you!
04/01/2013 at 10:48

joining a club is almost certainly the best way to improve.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 46 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.