Ankle problems at 4.5 miles

2 messages
25/01/2013 at 21:00

Apologies in advanced if this is a long post.

History:
Have been running for 6 months.
Completed Runners World 5K beginner plan
Ran 6 x 5K Parkruns PB now just under 24mins.
Just started Runners World 10K beginners plan.

My injury problem:
While doing the 5K plan (a month after I started running) I picked up an ankle injury on my right leg. This was near the end of the plan, a 4mile run. I was out for about 5 weeks. Ok I thought, my legs are not fully conditioned yet. I bought some Kinvara 3's to help recover, as they have more cushioning than my NB MT110 trail shoes.

I slowly worked back to fitness and was easily doing 3 - 3.5 mile runs without any problems, nothing, not even tight calves. I did this for around 3 months, along side extra foot strengthing excersies, standing on one leg, heel walking, tip-toe walking and stretches. I should mention that for social shoes I've worn flat shoes for years,  deck shoes, baseball boots and over the last 9 months Vivobarefoot Neo's.

So, feeling good I started the 10K plan last week I managed two 4 mile runs and then I get the same ankle injury, this time in my left leg, though not as bad. Should only be a week off I reckon. I honestly thought my feet were strong!

It could just a bit of bad luck, but the 4 miles is rather frustrating.

Does anybody have anything they could sugest for strengthing my feet?

26/01/2013 at 14:18

I'm glad nobody has responded to my post. I've been doing a bit of searching on the net and found out that more than a few people have had posterior tibial tendinitis problems with the NB MT110 shoe.

There is an new update for this shoe which should be out soon.

Good info here http://www.runblogger.com/2012/12/new-balance-mt110-v2-trail-running-shoe.html

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.