Another runner attacked

101 to 109 of 109 messages
20/11/2006 at 21:12
I would like to add my penny's worth on this subject. I am an angry runner, I just use strees to drive me rouond my 4 - 7 miles and I tend to see some drivers as selfish. Even driving in a car, we all see them. I had an instance just last night. I ran across a zebra crossing as there was a fair stream of traffic, I had waited for a gap between cars large enough to run through. At the point of just startig to cross, the car began to speed up. Now I stared not at the driver but just through the window, gestured (no fingers) and lipped what the??? Nothing else. The car slowed down, clocked me as I looked back. Now a further 2-300 yards down the road I heard screeching and wheelspins, this nutter was following me. He stopped next to me, whilst I ran, he chased me for about 20 footthe went back because he couldn't catch. Sped off in a wail of wheelspincame almost level to me at which point I just ran back leaving him with nowhere to turn. In hindsight it was a potentially dangerous situation from no (I think) incitement.
I have had three instances in two weeks of this. All for running, so my advice is to possibly carry something.
The recommendation I have was to carry papper dust or salt, in a fine dust. What can the police say if you are accosted and you use this as a mechanism of self defence. Please can we have a police view?
Whay should we not be prepared for attacks when it seems to me to be happening too regulary to be ignored!
Anyone please let me know your thoughts?
20/11/2006 at 21:16
perhaps he recognised you from last time you expressed your anger?

:o/
20/11/2006 at 21:17
...and this is a three-year-old thread!
20/11/2006 at 22:30
I think you may have a warped idea of what might be admired around here, jason...
21/11/2006 at 01:16
I've not read all of the thread sorry as my eyes down to my knees, have been up with my daughter who is not well.

I wish the runner who was attacked a speedy recovery and the quicker the b*stard who did this is caught the better. I hate running in the winter nights. I run with my dog (who is soft as mud). One of my routes is a not very well lit main-ish road, which is tree lined as there is a wood behind it. There is only pavement on one side and 1/2 way along there is a set of steps coming out of the woodland. These steps freak me out. I didn't run that way tonight after I heard about the attack. To be honest although I live in the North East I still hate dark night running. I feel for everyone who runs in the London area where these attacks have taken place.

It really p**ses me off that you have to be afraid and look over your shoulder all the time. I Wish I could join a running club but hubbies shifts and 20 month old daughter, I don't have the time. Now thinking of trying to get to local wellbeing centre to use treadmill during the dark nights.

Stay safe ladies and gents.

21/11/2006 at 01:31
I think in my tired state I got wrong end of stick. Thought another person been attacked whilst out running. Hubby asked where I was running tonight as he said something about an attack, but I think I must have heard him wrong I was trying to get ready to go out. Still this path freaks me out. Am going to try get some sleep. May help my confused brain!!!
21/11/2006 at 07:45
i think the thought of this crosses every runners mind when they go out, i always try to run around well populated area's which isnt often the case when on long runs, i always now take my mobile with me, and now that i am at the state in my running that i can actualy talk when running call my wife every twenty minutes or half an hour to let her know where i am. also tell her the route i am taking and what time i should be back.

It's hard this time of year as most people work during daylight hours and return or go to work in the dark.
21/11/2006 at 08:44
This three year old thread is well and truly rejuvenated!

21/11/2006 at 10:19
just expect people to be morons... be passive.. dont even react.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 109 of 109 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.